Just got informed Sex offender moved right next door. (update)

I have been letting the other parents at the bus stop know. One of them told us that he has a habit of sitting in the parking lot of his daughters school for over a half a hour after droping her off. So yes this man is a threat. I am not trying to get a mob together or anything, but I do not think it is wrong to let the other parents know. This community is very kid friendly we enforce a 10 mps speed limit because we worry over all the kids. What I do not understand is I thought they could not live with in so many miles of a park and we have one 2 blocks away.
I understand they have a right to live there life, but this is not a 19 yr old that had a 16 yr old gf in my state 1st degree on a child means raping a kid under the age of 12. Can those people ever be reabilitated? What are the odds that they will not do it again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Aug. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• He has custody of his DD and he is a child molester? Where the hell is the poor girls mom? Are you %100 positive of his convictions? It doesn't make sense that a sex offender with 1st degree on a child would have custody of his daughter. I know that certain kinds of sex offenders can live near parks & schools. There was a guy at my old work who was a sex offender for multiple sexual harrasment charges against adult women. He lived right next to a popular park too. But, he was not a child molester.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:42 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I'm interested how you cam about his criminal charges... in almost all states that info is restricted from the public so that people do not take vigilante justice as a real life solution. Just asking.

As for him sitting in the parking lot, that is just as easily explained as anything else. My so will sit in the car and play with his phone when he stops somewhere, some times for 20-30 minutes at a stretch... Unless you've seen the criminal court documents proclaiming his conviction, I would caution you not to take it out of context.
    I've a good friend who is a "sexual offender" who has to live with people like you running him off, all because he was 18 and made the mistake of falling for a girl who was 16- he did nothing wrong, yet now he has ti live with the stigma of being an offender. Regardless, you should know ALL of the facts before jumping the gun.

*** I am not defending the offender ***
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:43 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Oh my !!!! I would be as worried as you are mom!! I thought that was true about the park thing too...maybe you could call and check with the police dept or something!

NO I think its something that SHOULD be talked about between the parents so that everyone is looking out for others kids! Cant be too careful!

I looked up sex offenders in our area not too long ago and there were 3 within walking distance of my house! And I live in a nice middle class neighborhood too! They are EVERYWHERE!

I would let it be known to HIM too that you guys know who and what he is and you are watching him. I have no sympathy for these people!!!! NONE!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:44 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• FYI- as chica said, and I will reiterate, you almost certainly can not be in possession of all of the FACTS. Children are not left in the possession of known pedophiles, PERIOD.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:45 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• First off, I understand your worry. However, these people tend not to abuse children they don't know or children who don't go willingly. Make sure your children are educated about things like this and they know not to go near him.
    Now, as for the can he be rebabed? Will he act again? Yes and No. While the MAJORITY of sex offenders will re-offend, many will not. I'm not saying invite him over, I'm just saying learn to ignore him - teach your kids to ignore him... However, just because he is a sex offender, even of this caliber, does not mean he's a danger to live near. He's creepy, he's scary, but if you stay clear, he's not a danger.

We had a gentleman who used to wait til recess and drive down to the local private school and sit. It creeped me out! But I would much rather he sit there and watch any day than act on his illness.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:45 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I do not think it is wrong to let other people know. If he was a drug dealer you would let people know, this is just protecting your children. Contact the state to find out if he is living in a restricted area. That varies from state to state.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 9:45 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• all because he was 18 and made the mistake of falling for a girl who was 16-

THAT is totally different than a man who has molested or raped a child under the age of 12!!! She said she KNEW this was not the case with this man and he was charged with 1st degree which is with a child under 12 !!! SICK!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:46 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• BTW- I have 4 sex offenders within a mile of my happy, quiet little suburban home... 2 of them are parents of children who go to school with my daughter. NEITHER OF THOSE IS A PEDOPHILE. Charges that are sexual in nature that do not pertain to children (like sexual harassment- which can be as simple as complimenting a woman in an unflattering way) does not mean that are a threat to your child.

Hysterics is what causes the mob mentality to become an actual mob.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:47 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Children are not left in the possession of known pedophiles, PERIOD.

I highly agree here! Which is why I tried to word my answer very carefully... However in the end, without all the answers or not, I would continue to be watchful. Beyond that, there isn't really anything you can do anyways.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:47 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• It's so many miles from a school, I've never known it to be so many mile from a park. Also because HE has daughter, and it sounds like she lives with him, there might be allowances or other things that allow him to care for his daughter, taking her to the park, school, etc. You HAVE to look into your local and state laws and guidelines. Call your local police department (non-emergency line) and just ask them what are the laws, rules, etc. They will be happy to address those things with you. What is legal or illegal in your neck of the woods may not be the same for my neck of the woods.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:48 AM on Aug. 26, 2010