My 7 wk old daughter is restless and only sleeps in my arms!

I will hold her until she goes to sleep and then i go to put her down and she wakes up and wont go back to sleep even if i pat her back and let her know im there. Please help, I cant do this every night.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she is doing that since she was born, then you had the luck to have a cry-baby. Happens a lot and if thats the case you just have to "deal with it"...

But if you think something is wrong with her, then go to a doctor with her. It could be so much.. too much gas in the belly, constipations, she doesnt like the brand of formula u give her (if you dont breastfeed)... ect.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:22 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• have you tried a pacifier? it may help if you havent. sometimes its simply that comfort that they need. also try swaddling her. you can even swaddle her with one of your shirts so that she can still smell you
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 4:25 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• My dd used to do this. I would put her down in her swing and she would wake up then go right back to sleep. Also, try putting her down just before she goes to sleep, so she doesn't become dependent on going to sleep in your arms. I know it's easier said than done.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 4:32 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• It is very unhealthy for you to do this. Babies dont get good enough sleep while they are being held, in their car seats, or in a swing. She needs to get use to comforting herself. I know it will be hard, but that is just something you will have to break her of. try putting her in her bassinet before she falls asleep, aslo get her a womb bear, she might be able to sleep better if she can hear your heart beat. i have also heard of you putting a blanket around you neck during the day so it gets your scent and place it under her mattress when she sleeps that way she can still smell you. i would also try to put some soft music on. and start a routine, read to her, give her a bath, feed her. change her, then lay her down.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 4:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• It is not unhealthy for her as the above mom suggested. If she is getting sleep then she is fine. She is too young for you to let her CIO as well. I would say try to get her in a set routine and see how that helps. She probably will not sleep through the night anyways. That is something that you have to get used to, that is just part of having a baby at home. You could try a pacifier but that doesn't work with a lot of babies. They have womb bears as well but I wouldn't recommend it, because that is just something added that you have to break them from later. You just have to lay her down and let her fall back asleep or let her sleep in your bed. Maybe if she is close to you she will sleep better. My daughter slept in her bassinet until she was 2 months old beside my bed and that was all she needed.
    pookie_1228

Answer by pookie_1228 at 5:18 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I feel your pain. My daughter was EXACTLY the same way, EXACTLY!! I ended up just having her sleep in my bed with me, while I was propped up on some pillows and she would sleep on the boppy while it was wrapped around me. Eventually I transitioned her to sleeping on the bed beside me, then to the bassinett beside me and last night, she ACTUALLY slept all night from 10pm-9am in HER CRIB, only waking up to eat once at 5am. She just turned 3 months on Wed.I know it's SO HARD, but it will not go on forever. Really, try sleeping with her. My daughter slept like a rock in my bed, her father works nights so it's just the two of us. Good luck, I know it's tough.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:53 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• There is a great new product just new to the market called the magic sleepsuit. Check it out at www.magicsleepsuit.com. It helps babies sleep better and longer on their backs int he crib and provides them witht he coziness and comfort they crave.
    Anonymous