Was it hard for you to change your name after marriage or did you keep your last name?

I'm having a hard time here...LOL! I like my last name! I did not take my ex's last name, thank god. But, my new DH told me that it is imortant to him that i change it. I told him that i would change it & that i don't mind doing it. But, now i'm having a hard time! It's been a while since we got married too, I should have had this taken care of a while ago. I keep procrastinating BIG TIME! Was it hard to get used to your new last name? And do you like your new last name more than your maiden name, or do you hate it?

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 9:59 AM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Hyphenated. He doesn't like it, but he deals with it. He knows its an antiquated custom.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:00 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I like my married name better than my maiden name - it's shorter.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:02 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I was proud to take my DH's last name, it wasn't a difficult adjustment for me at all.

Kind of funny - I ended up with 3 last names in a calendar year (Divorced, back to maiden name, remarried). I really screwed up the Social Security office (I didn't change back to my maiden name officially like I was supposed to, just had my drivers license changed), and had an issue filing my taxes. Oops. :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:03 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My last name was impossible to pronounce, so I love my new name! We've been married for 3 years, and it's already second nature for me to call myself my new name :)

It doesn't take long to change it, just go to the SS office with your marriage cert.
    Mom2unangel

Answer by Mom2unangel at 10:04 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Maybe i'm old fashioned..but I just thought it was something you do when you get married without a thought. *shrugs*
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 10:08 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• If you don't want his last name, you shouldn't take it and he should be on board with whatever you want, IMO. FWIW, I got married too young to the wrong guy, I had the HARDEST time taking his name, and he insisted. I hated it. Never felt like it was mine. We divorced and I couldn't get my maiden name back fast enough. I am now remarried, DH at the time always told me it was my choice, because of my 1st experience I assumed I'd keep my maiden name...but as it got closer I decided, on my own, to take DH's name. It felt more like a family *for me*. Thankfully I did not have kids with my first husband, I do now with my husband and I'm glad we all share the same name. I will say, however, that DH has a cool last name =) Although, I also love my maiden name. It was more what felt right for me, not what I was forced to do. It did not take long to get used to it.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:11 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Nope not hard at all... I would have married Atila the Hun to ditch my maiden name. I hated it and hated how everyone knew my dad as soon as I said it. So I did it with in hours of my wedding...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:13 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My full name is Katherine Marie Antoinette

I love Antoinette...

My DH's last name is Morgan..a pretty common boring name if you ask me...LOL! I feel guilty that i am pondering this. I want to be proud to take my wonderful DH's last name! I love him so much, he is the most wonderful DH. I really do wish i could be proud to do it....But my name is so cool....LOL!

So, how does Katherine Marie Antoinette Morgan sound?? Too long?
    samurai_chica

Comment by samurai_chica (original poster) at 10:16 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I like having the same last name as my family. And it was mostly easy (except the passport)

BUT I still don't feel like it's mine (it's only been 6 years and I'm 40). I mean, you don't hear your last name often- maybe twice a month? I still go to the T-Z lines instead of A-D lines, and sometimes don't" hear" the new name

I love my new family and was OK changing name to have the same one as my kids/DH (even though nobody can spell it), but I don't feel like I'm NOT my old last name either. I was kind of sad. Part of it is that I'm an only child, last of my name. Part is DH has a huge family and I don't (think Big Fat Greek Wedding), family crafts and artwork everywhere, pictures, we visit them (closer) 10 times a year including all holidays, all their traditions, and my family, once or twice. So at times it feels to me like me and my family are nothing, which he thinks is stupid.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 10:21 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I changed to his last name. Then, 7 years later, when he had some sort of identity crisis and wanted to change our last name, and the kids' names of course, I changed it then too. It's just a name.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:01 AM on Aug. 26, 2010