Using expired eggs?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I don't eat eggs much. I was wondering if its okay to make scrambled eggs if the date on the carton says April 14th 2010? They will be fully cooked.

Ash9724

Asked by Ash9724 at 10:03 AM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Im 44 when I was growing up eggs DID NOT Expire, EVER!! I personally would not use an egg thats been in my fridge more than 2 months. REMEMBER the current egg recall? MOST of those eggs were layed in MAY people! Even the news said the majority of recalled eggs were layed in May! They were already MONTHS old when the recall happened.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:18 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Place the egg into a bowl of water. The water level should be deeper than the egg's length.
    Observe what the egg does.
    Fresh eggs will sink to the bottom of the bowl and lie on their sides.
    Slightly older eggs (about one week) will lie on the bottom but bob slightly.
    If the egg balances on its smallest end, with the large end reaching for the sky, it's probably around three weeks old.
    Eggs that float at the surface are bad and should not be consumed.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:16 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My DH is a cook and said NO when I tried that last week. They can make you horribly sick. Eggs are cheap, just buy some more. :)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:04 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I wouldn't take the chance. Things have expiration dates for a reason.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 10:05 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Oh no way!!!! I might use an egg if its a day or two past...but nothing more! I dont even like to do that....b/c eggs can carry so many things!!! Salmonella mainly!!!

That is wayyyyy to out of date for me!!! As in 5 months out of date...???NO NO!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:05 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I'll use them two weeks after the expire date, no more.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:05 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• There's a trick you can do with a bowl of water to see if eggs are bad or not. I would look it up (sorry, I don't know what it is). I made cookies with eggs that were like two days expired and they were fine. Good luck!
    Mom2unangel

Answer by Mom2unangel at 10:06 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• you can tell if eggs are bad by covering them with water if they float they are bad.
    Those are from April? I think that is way too long past the date..
    valkay

Answer by valkay at 10:17 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• You shouldn't use them more than a week past expiration date because you have no idea how long they were kept refrigerated before the store put them in the sales case (the less time refrigerated, the faster they go bad). If you don't use eggs that often and only use them as ingredients in other things, crack them into an ice cube tray, freeze them, and once they set, pop them out and keep them in a freezer bag. Defrost them as you need them. Either mix them a bit to break the yolk, or separate them and freeze yolk and whites separately if you need them that way more often.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:17 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• The USDA recommends using eggs within 3 to 5 weeks after you purchase them. I believe eggs are normally ok up to about 2 weeks after their sell by date. But, no, eggs from April would be way past that.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:35 AM on Aug. 26, 2010