cough medicines

I have an 8,6, and 5 year old.What is the best cough medicine you give your kids. I usually do Mucinex. Is that the best one out there or something different out there I am missing.

momindiana

Asked by momindiana at 10:05 AM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Health

• I wish I knew because I think that Mucinex is worthless.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:09 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I always have given her Benadryl for coughing. It was all she could take and most of her coughing came from nasal drainage tickling her throat. It's always worked for us. If it's day time or morning, I'll give her Clariton so she won't be sleepy all day.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:14 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Well... add a half teaspoon of anise seeds and a half teaspoon of thyme to a cup of just boiled water. Let steep for 10 minutes. Stir it, strain and let cool. Then add a teaspoon of honey. Give child 1 TBSP every half hour. (this is for kids over two years)

A rather intriguing remedy that you might try since the kids are older ( getting this from a book BTW) is to loosely tie a black cotton thread around the child's neck. It must be black. ( curious if this works, but my kids aren't coughing right now. seems pretty LOL)

Combine a half cup apple cider vinegar with half acup of water. add a teaspoon cayenne pepper and sweeten to taste with honey. Take one tablespoon when the cough starts acting up. Then swallow another tablespoon at bedtime.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:25 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I've had luck with Delsym and Robitussin in the past.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:27 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I use Robitussin DM. The Robitussin treats the cough and the DM dries up the crud.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:33 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• not sure good luck ihave tried everything
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 3:22 PM on Aug. 26, 2010