Do you make your own...

cleaners? I have discovered that I'm allergic to so much more than I thought, so I've started making my own. What is your favorite recipe? So far, mine is for a sink cleanser (stainless or porcelain)
1/4 c baking soda
1/2 c vinegar
3 drops of orange essential oil
mix it all together and use like comet or soft scrub. Rinse well. Makes a really shiny sink and smells great!

JawgaMom1

Asked by JawgaMom1 at 10:15 AM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I take one gallon of white vinegar and add to it 3 lemons, cut up, then leave it somewhere dark & cool for a month or two. When the vinegar is ready, I mix it into a spray bottle with plain water, about 50/50, and use to clean pretty much everything. White vinegar is a natural grease cutter, so it works great, and the lemons add extra disinfecting power to the vinegar as well as a great scent. To increase the scrubbing effectiveness of the vinegar mix to clean bathrooms, sinks, etc., I will mix it with baking soda to make a paste. Sometimes I'll add a bit of dishsoap to one of my mixes for some extra cleaning power on really dirty surfaces, if needed.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:03 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Water. Extremely hot water (and a little dishsoap, sometimes) for food surfaces, or anything that needs to by hygienic... just water for everything else.

It has been my experience that a very great number of cleaners are nothing but harsh chemicals sold to people who've been snowed about the dangers of germs on dry surfaces. For example: it's impossible to 'pick up' a germ from a dry toilet on the unbroken skin of your bottom or legs --but people 'sanitize' their toilets as if someone was going to wash their face in the water...

If anyone decides to brush their teeth with the water in my toilet, I'm happy to let them play roulette with their immune system... otherwise, I'm assuming everyone else is just going to use the water to flush away something more germy than the floor around it (which I'm also assuming no one is going to lick...)
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:34 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I use a lot of dishsoap and water for kitchen surfaces and my floors, if we get a virus in the house, I wipe everything down with a mild bleach water solution.

for my walls I use a bar laundry soap called Zote. Zote also works well in cleaning my bathroom (strips off the soap scum, oils and dirt from bathtub)

For windows and patio doors I use straight rubbing alcohol and wipe until clean (I really don't get any streaks)

As for dust, I just use a damp cloth and then wash it, unless it is something greasy with dust (Light fixtures), then I use a bit of dishsoap.

KiraSaucedo

Answer by KiraSaucedo at 11:05 AM on Aug. 26, 2010