DEALING WITH CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES?

AFTER MY SON PASSED IN MY HOME OF COURSE HERE COME THE MONSTERS OUT TO GET ME. AS IF IM NOT GOING THROUGH ENOUGH ALREADY. I KNOW ITS THERE JOB BUT I HAVE BEEN COOPERATING AND THEY JUST WONT LEAVE IT ALONE. I HAVE DONE DRUG TESTS, EVALUATIONS, ETC. NOW THEY ARE WANTING TO SEE MY OTHER CHILDREN. I FEEL LIKE IM BEING HARASSED. DOES ANYONE KNOW MY RIGHTS ON THIS?

mandyleigh14271

Asked by mandyleigh14271 at 10:21 AM on Aug. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would get an attorney. I am sorry that you are going through this.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:22 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I don't but you should be able to get a lawyer to tell you. Check with your local family charities they normally have a lawyer that can atleast tell the basics.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 10:23 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• yup get an attorney

sorry for your lose
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 10:24 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• You just have to co/op so they can investigate, as for seeing your other children they want to make sure there is nothing else going on that they can't see. I would just co/op they just want to learn how your son passed.... Sorry for your loss and hopefully everything works out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I'm so very sorry.

I had an incident where the school reported me for suspected abuse of my DD10. They came to my house, talked to the other kids, and then did a surprise visit later. I was so angry - I felt violated, we don't even spank our kids. I talked to an attorney who advised me that the best thing to do was cooperate. He said that I didn't have any legal recourse, children's services has an obligation to follow through on accusations, regardless of how unfounded they are.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:24 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Look at it from their perspective: there are other kids potentially at risk in the same home, and they need to ensure the safety of those kids. If you happen to feel harassed in the process, well, that's an unfortunate side effect.

Yes, get a lawyer (I'm surprised you don't already have one) or find out if you have a local family advocate or ombudsman... but they'll tell you what I've just told you: the safety of your children come before your comfort.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:27 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I would definately at least call and do a free consult with a local attorney. That sounds too saddening already for them to be harrassing you like that.

I am so sory for your loss. :(
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:31 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Sorry for your loss :( I would seek legal advise asap, but unfortunately it's in your best intrest to do the best you can to cooperate with them. Don't forget that cps does a lot more than just take kids away, they can also help you find services (like family therapy) for your other children to help cope with grieving. They can also help you get many other services if you need them.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 10:32 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• dealing with the same experience you can tell them "thanks but i dont need your services" if nothing was found they have no rights. its your house you can ask them to leave. they will threaten to take your kids bt they would have to take it to court to geta court order to make you cooperate but even then they would have to have problable cause to make you cooperate. and just because your child passed doesnt mean anything. i would go that route!
    definedclefts

Answer by definedclefts at 11:05 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Where do you live? Contact a local child abuse and neglect organization. I am sure they can answer a lot of your question for free, and maybe even provide some kind of assistance.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 12:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2010