Potty Training my 3 year old

NEED HELP!!! My son is 38 months old and he still wont potty train. We have been trying since he turned 24 months. This is getting so old & frustrating!!! We need help!!!

Asked by jmsst44 at 10:10 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When my son was 3 we decided it was time plus he was so ready I bought the pull ups and he would still pee in them like a diaper so I just went and got some big boy undies and said no more diapers and he did well only took a few days he was rewarded with a special treat when he used the potty

Answer by abellvalerie at 10:19 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Keep at it. be consistant! My 3 1/2 year old didn't get completely potty trained until she was 3 years 4 months. I ended up saying screw it and put her in panties. Told her if she peed or pooped she had to clean the mess up. she eventually got tired of cleaning up her own messes so she one day jsut started going all on her own Good luck and remember, consistancy is the KEY!

Answer by Jordanplustwo at 10:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Keep at it. Be consistent. I'm trying to train my 3 yr old daughter and my almost 2 yr old son. It's getting old really fast, but I have to keep reminding myself of the benefits: NO MORE DIAPERS! LESS $$$ GOING OUT THE DOOR FOR DIAPERS (I'll have one left in diapers once these two are potty trained.) And I know they'll be a lot happier once they're out of their diapers.

Answer by tinandril at 10:44 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I would buy little toys and candy for rewards and let them pick out something from the box every time they went. I never really had a problem with potty training. My kids always wanted to go on the potty. Maybe the rewards were the reason!

Answer by Tracy67 at 10:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• We had the same problem with my son. We tried treats and prizes but that didn't work. So finally we just backed off a little bit. We would ask him if he had to go and if he wanted to try the potty. Of course he said no. But then one day he said yes and it was his choice. He went and has been since. Be patient and calm. Let him make the choice. Good Luck

Answer by tiggermom516 at 11:50 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Hi my son is 3 and i have been potty training since march 14/08 I make up a calender and used stickers every time he went 2 stickers for poop. i have over 200 stickers so far and it got down to diapers getting wet so inside he went free and bare but. i set the potty out and he thought it was just greatand he got to the if i sit down on that potty i will get a treat of some kind if it was a sticker or snack treat that might help him want to sit and dohis dodo on the potty.
    After we let him free of diaper he just took off and now does both in potty.
    He even gets a kick out of flushing it down and saying byby to it .He wears big boy underwear and he now pulls them down and keeps them dry all day.Even when he falls asleep he does great and wakes up with dry underwear.Make it special my kid likes cars with mator and maqueen.That was his highlight that day we got those

Answer by PrarieMountMom at 12:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Our 3 yr. old kept saying no he didn't want to use the potty. Then it was time for him to go to preschool. We mentioned he could only go to school if he went in the potty. He started peeing right away, but will sit down w/his feet slightly raised and hold his poop; obviously saying he's going to get to go to school doesn't work so well w/#2. (Oh, and he could get a cookie whenever he went #1) Right now he's into going in the "Big" potty, and doing it all by himself. He thinks it's really neat to flush!!

Answer by momoftthreeboys at 11:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2008