how to get rid of lingering cough for my son?

Hi i was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to get rid of a cough? My son is almost 4 and is developmentally delayed. He also has a seizure disorder and is on medication for that. He has had a cough for about a week now. I have been giving him robutusin and rubbing him with vapo rub, and giving plenty of fluids and he still is coughing. The cough is broken up but he doesn't know to cough up the mucus and spit it out....(sorry if tmi) so how is he supposed to get rid of the mucus???

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Kids' Health

• It'll go down on its own. The Robitussin is not going to help because it is a cough suppressant if he has mucus then he needs to cough so, the Robitussin is probably what is stopping him from getting better. I hope this makes sense.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:27 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• You need a cough expectorant (breaks up the mucous and makes it easier to cough up). You're giving him a cough suppresant (keeps him from coughing - good to give for better sleep at night).

The liquids are good to offer. So is hanging out in a steam room or sitting in the bathroom with the shower running as hot as it can. Breathing in the steam will help the mucous break up without making his throat sore from coughing.
    Anonymous

• You need an expectorant..they sell good ones at the health food store, that don't have the dyes and other yucky ingredients mainstream ones do. Also, have a vaporizer going, it helps break the mucous up. Also give him a chewable vitamin c and multi vitamin, this will help build his immune system up.

I hope he feels better! :)
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 1:03 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I don't know why this works but I swear it does and so will a thousand other moms out there...put the vapo rub on his feet and then put socks on him.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:36 PM on Oct. 10, 2008