"If I need to take a drug test to get a job, then you need a drug test to get welfare!"

Agree or disagree?

Asked by coder_chick at 10:31 AM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I would be in favor of a tiered system- if you submit to drug testing, job skills training or counseling if you need it you would get an increase in benefits. The govt should take the opportunity to make those that need help more employable- education is a good thing for all. I get increases at work for taking classes, I get bonuses in my health care system for staying healthy, I get a break on my car insurance for being a safe driver. I believe that vast majority of people both employed and unemployed want to take advantage of things that improve their lives. I would think incentives would go a long way over something punitive. I would bet a lot of people on assistance would take advantage of anything that would improve their situation- I believe that most everyone wants a better life.

Answer by soyousay at 9:59 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I don't have a problem with it, but keep in mind that many people on welfare also work at a job.

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:33 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Nope. Mandatory drug testing is an employers decision- not the governments.

Answer by IhartU at 10:33 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I agree with Kiwismommy. Also, I'm sick of seeing this Facebook group or page or whatever that is with the above quote, lol.

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:33 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Sure, sounds great. But, are you going to pay for it?

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:39 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Still haven't seen anyone volunteer to step up and pay for all that testing. You people don't really think it would be cheaper to test than it is to take that 20 cents a year of your individual tax money and apply it to food stamps, do you?

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:12 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• 100% agree.

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:32 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• agree

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:36 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• i've been seeing this on FB alot!
    sounds reasonable to me

Answer by elizabiza at 10:32 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Not really. It's not like if someone is high and on welfare they'll hurt someone or a company like they would if they are high and at work.

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:32 AM on Aug. 26, 2010