what do you clean you oven with?

do you use a oven cleaner? do you use a sos pad? do you have any tricks up your sleeve?

mommylisar

Asked by mommylisar at 10:39 AM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I always used Easy-Off and had good results. I recently got a self-cleaning oven and did not know that self-clean cannot be used with oven cleaner. I just about ruined the oven before DH came in to save the day. Now he cleans the oven, however he wants to. =)
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 6:21 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Mmm... self-cleaning.

I do prefer the other no-effort method of cleaning an oven (can't do it to a self-cleaning oven, it wrecks the surface): block the vent with paper, put a glass dish of pure ammonia in the oven, shut the door and leave the house for 3 or 4 hours (take the pets out, too). When you get home, open all the doors and windows in the entire house, open the oven door and run back outside. Wait 20-30 minutes until the fumes dissipate and then wipe the interior with a damp cloth or paper towel.

It helps to do this pretty regularly, rather than letting the gunge get really baked on...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:45 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My hubby and I own a couple of rental properties and I end up being the one to clean them when the prior tenants move out. If you have the time, this works great.

Menards sells a commercial oven cleaner by Rubbermaid, heat your oven up to about 200 (like the instructions say) liberally spray the interior of the oven and all the grate and grills, close it and let it sit for a good day or two, go back and wipe the gunk out of it with a rag.

When I do it this way, I don't have to do any scrubbing or anything. The gunk just wipes off without problems.

Have fun!!!
    KiraSaucedo

Answer by KiraSaucedo at 10:58 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• easy-off, and elbow grease
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:41 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I use your method but I put on rubber gloves to protect my hands.

Other ideas here.  Oven Cleaning Tips

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:49 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Mela magic from the Ecosense line - no icky fumes -I have a self cleaning oven, but I prefer to clean my oven with Mela Magic - don't have to worry about opening all of the windows -and much quicker :)
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 1:12 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• i have a self cleaning oven and i use easy off too
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 3:06 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I have a self-cleaning oven. I always wipe it down though b/fore self-cleaning it.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I have a self cleaning oven and when it's done I just wipe it down wipe a wet rag
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:14 PM on Aug. 26, 2010