Are your kids allowed water bottles at their desks?

Our school just started allowing it this year. I know of some other moms who've mentioned it, but mostly ones down south where it's a lot warmer most of the year. Is this getting more common everywhere now?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:04 AM on Aug. 26, 2010 in

• My son's teacher did last year, but my daughter's didn't - it wasn't a school policy either way, just depended on the teacher. My son was in a trailer and that may have been why. I live in NC.

Answer by missanc at 11:05 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I have heard of some schools allowing this. And actually requiring it for kids who participate in sports or any activities outside after school. Such as football team, band, cheerleaders!

Good idea :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:06 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Actually, we've been informed to provide water bottles on a daily basis. So they leave every a.m. with a frozen sports bottle in the backpack. It's frickin HOT here.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:07 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• They just started it last year. I think it's a good thing because it really hot on the upper floor of the school.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:07 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My little ones school does not. I could see where it is great allowing the kids to drink water more so it becomes a habit. It is more sanitary than the usual water fountain. I am sure there are lots of spills though that the teacher does not need.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:07 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• They do now, but I had to fight last year because my DD gets UTIs if she gets dehydrated, and her teacher was not allowing her to drink during the day... This year they are magically allowing it to all students, after several other parents took it to the board, and argued that it was medically necessary, and they school was putting children at risk.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:09 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• yes but we live in AZ and its super hot so its recommended they bring them. My kids fill water in their thermus.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:11 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• We live in SC and our schools don't have the policy. Some teachers allow them. My son is in 4th this year (at the same school he's been in since pre-K) and he's only been allowed to have a water bottle in 1st grade.
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 11:16 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• We are in the south and some of my dtrs teachers allow it and some don't. I think it is a good thing.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:22 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Yes my kids are allowed. I send a reusable bottle with a sport lid so spills aren't an issue.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:25 AM on Aug. 26, 2010