Need some help

Has anyone tried to get out of an unhappy marriage and your husband threatened you with the kids by telling you that he was going to fight to keep them from you?

momof2girls757

Asked by momof2girls757 at 11:10 AM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• Why would he be able to keep the kids from you??
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 11:10 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• He really cant he just keeps threatening me about it
    momof2girls757

Comment by momof2girls757 (original poster) at 11:11 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Hear it all the time. The times the men have won, 0 (that I know of personally).. It is very hard to take children from the mother. The courts might award joint custody or sole to you. Most men use this scare tactic as a way to keep the other person. Can you provide for your children, are you a fit parent, do you do drugs, or anything in your past he can use against you.. If you answer no to most of these questions chances are he will not win.. How old are the kids, the courts sometimes take that into consideration as well.. Most courts are in favor of the mom unless proof of being unfit. Don't let him control you by fear. If he is abusive get proof before you leave. If you can file a restraining order against him if he is abusive.. Talk to a lawyer above all else.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:16 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My DH and I just talked/threatened each other about getting a divorce. He threatened the same thing. He knows they are my life and to threaten that is terrifying to me. But in reality, he knows there is no way he could handle them and no way he would get them. To prove I was a bad mom would be impossible. Proving I'm imperfect yes, but so is he. If you are that miserable, then you are doing no favors to yourself or your kids by staying put. Be brave and call his bluff. Also, at least in MN if you can talk him into leaving the kids in your care and he move out, he is unwittingly giving you unofficial custody. Happened to my hubby with his ex.
    van5

Answer by van5 at 11:17 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Yep - that was one of the things that scared me when I was thinking about divorce a few months back. Now we are making a real effort to work through everything to make our relationship work.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:25 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Seems Most men try this tactic. It dosnt always work ya know. Espically if your a stay at home mommy. Men like to say you dont even work, but the courts usually award alimony AND child support. A threat is just words. Dont compromise for the kids sake, as that will only end badly for both of you and the kids. You have a right to be happy, and if it's without him ignore his threats and get a Good lawyer and consult all the best lawyers so he CANT get one of them on his side against you as it will be a conflict of intrest.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:28 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• he can try all he wants but the courts almost always give the mother the children and he pays the child support. so he can say it til he is blue in the face. it doesn't matter. if he is the provider he has to continue to do that and you'd be the primary parent. so when he says anything again i would just say....go ahead and try. your so dumb.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:39 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• When I was getting divorced from my ex I was still pregnant with my son and he tried to get me for parental kidnapping. REDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 5:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2010