I have a two year old who thinks she's too big for a crib. She sleeps, in the guest room in a queen size bed. The only way she'll go to sleep is if you sleep with her or leave once she's alseep. Is this a phase or a bad habbit?

SemperFiMummy

Asked by SemperFiMummy at 5:09 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why don't you buy her a regular bed and then she will be sleeping in her own room.
    Anonymous

• I think its normal for toddlers to start asserting their independence and no longer want to be considered a baby at that age. Things they associate with being a baby, they want to do away with. My son still needed the safety of a toddler bed as he moved around in his sleep so that's what we did. Toddler beds are close to the ground and have a little rail to keep them from falling out. We did have about 2 weeks of "training" once we put him in his own bed. Meaning every night at bedtime he wanted to get out of his bed because he could. So we just kept putting him back in and very firmly saying its bedtime now. It's not an easy transition but be encouraged and stick with it. It will be worth it when bedtime is bedtime and you get a break for a couple of hours at night.
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 5:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• my son went though that i layed in his room with him, toddler bed, until he went to sleep and then i just started leaving him in there with out me, he would get outa bed and find me then i would put him back and leave again, he cryed but finally got the hint that mommy doesnt sleep with him...
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 5:54 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• We moved our daughter into a full size bed a bit before 2 years old! She took to it very well. at first it was strange for her, she would want us to hold her for a little while, and then we would ask her if we could lay her down, she always sayd yes, we would lay her down and wala! She sometimes would do the fake cry thing for a minute and slumber she would go. Move her to a big bed that she can go and pick out with you, new beeding was my daughters favorite. she picked it all out. She loves her big bed now! Its her space she can play and sleep on.
    Anonymous

• If she thinks she is too big for a crib she probablly is.  Both of my kids were about 18 months when they started sleeping in toddler beds and they did great.  I wouldn't let her sleep in a big queen sized bed by herself unless you have rails put on it, and that would be the only thing to worry about, she's just growing up.

maggieradford

Answer by maggieradford at 4:26 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• It's a phase. My kids all had to be put to sleep until they were 2 or 3.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:54 PM on Oct. 12, 2008