what is your opinion? when it comes to dressing for church.

Do you see Sunday morning as the only day to dress up for church? or do you dress better every time you go like Wednesday nights. And do you dress better for Sunday mornings or go casual. Some say one should give God their best and dress better for service. I am the mindset that I could show up naked and still be allowed/accepted to attend.

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 11:11 AM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Religious Debate

• LOL Naked would certainly be a distraction! :) I think one should dress modestly so as not to be a distraction to other worshippers. It's not a fashion show or a 'let's out-dress the Joneses' outing.

On Sunday mornings, I wear a dress or skirt or occasionally dress slacks, if my pain level is high enough that wrestling into hose isn't really an option for me. Sunday nights, usually the same thing unless I'm very rumpled, then I will drop to slacks. Wednesday nights is Bible class, so I will wear nice jeans (dark, proper fit, no holes) with a nice blouse.

God cares more about our hearts than our attire, but the care we take with our attire can reflect the state of our hearts. "This is important to me" vs. "You mean I have to go again?"
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 1:58 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I'm not Christian, and I would NEVER set foot in a church without having enough respect to have a skirt on. I find it horridly disrespectful for people to show up in jeans or tank tops... Even the poorest can come up with $3 to buy a dress or skirt at Good Will... I don't expect people to show up in full Easter Garb every day, but it's a simple matter of respect. Church is a holy, sacred place, even if it's not holy or sacred to me that is the point, and I feel to show up without showing respect for that fact is wrong. I would feel the same way for any holy or sacred building or place, not just a church. It's about showing respect, and frankly if you can't do that, just stay home.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:29 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I believe too that God is probably just glad you're there, regardless of what you're wearing, but I also think it shows a love, respect for God to give him your best, so I dress up for him, and my children are being raised in this way. We do go a little more casual for nights, but still look nice, no jeans/t shirts.

I honestly think people don't know how to dress anymore period.... church, weddings, funerals, etc. People just show up with no respect with the event with the mindset that people should just be happy that they're there, and they don't need to have respect for the event, or God or the other people enough to dress nicely. Sad imo.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 11:24 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I just wear my regular everyday clothes, I don't think God cares. Heck he probably prefers that I'm not worried about what I look like and what other people think lol. At least that's what I tell myself when I feel lazy for not dressing up. Not like I have dress up clothes anyways lol
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 11:18 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Naked seems a little inapropriate :) but I just wear my regular clothes. I dress up my kids, but that's just because I have cute dressy clothes for them and want an excuse to use them. Not super fancy, just dresses for my daughter and polo shirts or button up shirts for my boys, stuff that seems a little nice for wearing around the house on an ordinary day.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:24 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I dress a little nicer than my everyday, but that's just what I choose to do. I don't think what you wear to church is of any importance. If people are concerned about what others are wearing to church, then their priorities are off.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• the church i go to is a causal church, most ppl wear jeans no matter what day it is. personally, i try to look my best on Sunday mornings, but thats how i was raised and its just a habit. i never think less of ppl who dont dress super nice, since its really not important. i think so long as someone is dressed modestly (naked would be a HUGE distraction) and are there for the right reasons, God's happy.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I am the mindset that I could show up naked and still be allowed/accepted to attend

Naked might be a distraction...hahahaha :) But I think as long as you are clothed....it doesnt matter! Your HEART is what God looks at ....not the latest fashions... :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:12 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I dress my best regardless if it's wed. or sunday
    Patience909

Answer by Patience909 at 11:13 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• In the past I dressed like I had a appointment to see the president or a movie star. Now I see everyone just dresses like they are going to a office to work or even to just a Drs. appointment. My pastor even wears jeans. Soooooo I dress according to the "style" of everyone in the church. I do miss dressing up as it was the only time I could wear something really nice. Wed nights dress is now on Sundays.
    catsandra

Answer by catsandra at 11:22 AM on Aug. 26, 2010