Preparing for kindergarten?

Should you prepare your child for kindergarten? Like practicing their letters, numbers, reading, writing etc through the summer.

DNR

Asked by DNR at 11:12 AM on Aug. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My kids learned to read at home, too... but only because they were interested in what we were doing with all those pages and marks and stuff... We read to them because we're readers, and they learned to love books long before they were 5. We also watched movies together and they got quite opinionated about those, too...

I'm not sure how a child could get to 5 without encountering reading in the real world, unless his parents really never read or write at all. If he's interested in what they mean, his curiosity will lead his learning and if he's not interested, no pressure or 'class' in the world will convert him until he is intrigued.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I think so
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:13 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My son started K today! This past January I set up a classroom at home and got some books from the library geared to PreSchool/Kindergarten preparation for teachers. This way I understood how the K even functions. In three months of three hours of lessons each day from 8:30 to 11:30 I managed to teach my 5 year old to read, write, spell and all the other silly things... I probably taught him more than he will learn all year in his 2.5 hour class that has 47 kids in the same room....
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 11:15 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Wow, Woodwitch, that is wonderful. I want to do something like that for my son as he has never been to preschool or day care. You found all of these books at the library?
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 11:17 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Mine did not go to preschool either and I was so worried about her being behind her classmates that I wound up teaching her a lot of home. She knows all of her letters, sounds, she can read short words, numbers, patterns, simple addition. So hopefully that puts her on a good track.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:21 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• That is my concern too. He can't read yet but is knows many of the letter sounds and is trying to sound out words. He is also practicing his writing almost everyday and we are working on numbers 10-20 now. I plan on continuing to work with him this year and hopefully when the time comes he will be okay.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 11:23 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My dd has been in pre-k since she was 2.. I was fortunate to be able to place her in a great private school. She has learned alot with the help of school, me and her grandparents. She's 5 though am I such a bad parent to let her play this summer and not force her to read or practice her letters and numbers. My mom is driving me crazy about how important it is that I keep her into learning and less playing.
    DNR

Comment by DNR (original poster) at 11:45 AM on Aug. 26, 2010