anyone else having a hell of a time quiting smoking?

they are telling me you should be quit be 14 weeks to avoid low birth weights. im just about 14 weeks(saturday) and i am having the hardest time! any advice on making this a little easier for me. i crochet and have been using that to keep busier to not smoke as much but im still smoking a few a day, help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I found visuallizing the fact that I was harming my baby worked really well.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 11:14 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Meeee!!! Im 24 weeks.. and I smoke about 6-8 per day.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:15 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I was over a pack a day smoker when I got pregnant.. it took me a couple of days to actually give it all up once I found out I was pregnant but I kept thinking and visualizing each time I smoked, the smoke literally going to the baby - and having the baby inhale it - remember those smoking commericals where the smoke went right up to the babys crib and went around the babies throat?? seriously.. smoking was my crutch and I LOVED smoking so it was VERY hard for me so I needed a HARSH Visiualization to help me - it did help though - good luck - I know its hard ...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:16 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Put the cigarettes away and do not pick them up again. You can do it.

You 'shouldn't' be quit by 14 weeks, you should never have started and you knew that when you took your first drag. Why you started may be important to helping you quit: are you 'cool' without smoking? Grown up? A rebel? Greed? To fit in? If you know what you're getting out of smoking, you can find other ways to do the same thing, and once you discover your stupid reason to smoke, you can walk away without nearly so much difficulty.

It takes less than 8 hours to clear nicotine from your system, so every time you go 10 hours without smoking, you are no longer physically addicted. The only problem is that it's not only physically addictive. Finding out what draws you toward it will help you resist... knowing why you want to resist (your health, your baby's health) can help, too...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:18 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I want to add once my son was 4 months old I started again because I didn't know how else to handle the stress of colic but I am now smoke free again for what will be a year in October and my son will be 3 in Nov.. its SO hard and it will be a lifelong battle I think but remember this will have to now be about your baby -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:20 AM on Aug. 26, 2010