I am doing some research to see what kind of pain killer to use for delivery.

I know there is an epidural and a sadiblock and a spinal what else is there? Does it work? Did you have it? How is it injected?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Stadol or Fentanyl are common meds given during labor, but they do pass to the baby. For me, the Fentanyl didn't even touch my back labor. I ended up with an epidural, which was good, ultimately, since I ended up needing an emergency c-section.
    If you choose to try it without meds, try reading Birthing from Within by Pam England. It has a lot to offer, and it doesn't chastise you if you end up using medication.
    Ask your doc what the options are where you're delivering, because it varies widely. You can ask about the risks and the benefits and procedures with each one. For example, it's good to know that Fentanyl can only be given 3 times, that the first dose is the most effective, and that if you're close to delivering, they won't give it because the baby will be in an altered state.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:34 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I don't know since I'm pregnant with my first, but I'm interested to see other peoples answers lol. So a bump for you and hopefully you'll get some answers
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 11:24 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I think the language itself is a problem...

Labor is difficult, and parts of it are certainly painful... but I've noticed that long-distance runners and mountain climbers don't talk about what kinds of painkillers they're going to be using when they exert themselves in quite painful ways to accomplish their goals.

Labor is more like mountain climbing than it is like a broken leg --muscle exertion rather than sharp or even aching pain. Between contractions, there is no pain at all... like when you stop on the side of the road during a marathon --tired and breathless and often overwhelmed by the exertion... but not in pain while not moving.

Which is why I was quite happy using no pain relief at all. I didn't have a headache...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:48 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I am pretty sure I had something called Demerol. It was better than nothing and I think it was put in through the iv. I will take my epidural any day of the week.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:24 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I just had morphine every so often, it was given through my IV. (Epidurals are for the WEAK!) LOL j/k...kinda ;)
    faithnseansmama

Answer by faithnseansmama at 11:26 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I had Demerol when I first got there, and a couple hours later they did the epidural thing. Or the spinal (not sure of the difference). I asked for an epidural then had to lean forward while they injected something in my lower back. Then it was like my body ended at the waist. :-) I'd take that any day.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:26 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• spinal is a shot given into your spine, and the rest I do believe is given through an IV, but I can't help you more than that because I did it all natural with my first, and plan to do so with my 2nd.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 11:27 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I had an epidural with both of my deliveries. It worked wonderfully the first time. The second time, I got the epidural too late and it did not have time to take effect before I delivered my son. I don't have any lasting bad effects from my epidurals, but I know someone who still has problems from having one.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:27 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I had demerol before an epidural also, personally I didn't like it at all. It made me feel really drunk, and I still had a lot of pain.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 11:32 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• When I had my son, they had something called a "Stadol Shot". It makes you rest in between contractions, but you feel the birth. It worked great for me!
    silvergecko264

Answer by silvergecko264 at 11:33 AM on Aug. 26, 2010