Getting my 1yo to sleep thru the night...

Her bedtime routine used to be to curl up on my bed and watch t.v. with her bottle till she was asleep and then I put her in her bed. She takes a paci, so every time she woke up, I would have to give it back to her. I was waking up 2-3 times a night, but she would fall right back asleep.
Now that we've moved and she has her own room I want her to sleep there. I play music for her, rocking her till she's sleepy and then putting her down... but she just screams. And screams...We go and check on her every 10 mins to make sure she's ok, without picking her up. The first night we did it without the paci and she slept all night long! But it took her 2 hours of screaming to fall asleep. The second night was no better. She had her paci this time, and woke up twice crying for me.

Doximama

Asked by Doximama at 5:11 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Your daughter's screaming could be a sign that she is not ready to be in her own room just yet. She apparently is not mature enough to handle the nighttime alone. In this case, I would highly recommend you place a nightlight in her room. I could help her be less afraid of the dark.

In the meantime, you might want to consider visiting this spectacular website called Nogginpower2. I checked out Nogginpower2 myself, and I quickly found out how helpful it really is. Some of the manuals I strongly suggest you download from Nogginpower2 include Discipline and Getting a Good Night Sleep. These packets f are written in a straightforward, yet informative manner. They should help you teach your one-year-old to sleep better and produce less screaming throughout the home. I hope this helps you with your current situation. Thank you and good luck.
    paulacolls19715

Answer by paulacolls19715 at 1:15 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Now, we're both in a bad mood from lack of sleep! I don't like leaving her to cry for so long. She used to take 2 naps no problem, but now because she's screaming for so long, she's not taking naps.
    Please HELP!
    Doximama

Answer by Doximama at 5:11 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• My dd who is 20 monhs has just started sleeping through tthe night in the last 2 months. we cosleep so I was right there when she woke up! She was a great sleeper when she was tiny but, then it got worse.screaming at nap time and bed time. I think it was a phase.sometimes I still wake up 12 times a night she is going too..
    Lindasmama

Answer by Lindasmama at 7:51 AM on Oct. 10, 2008