rerocking my 5 year back to sleep

My girls all now sleep in the same room now that they all go to school at the same time. But lately I seem to be rocking my 5 year old to sleep.I did it once to keep her quiet so the other 2 could go to sleep but she now asked me to do it all the time.Is it cause I was wrong to restart that or cause now in class all day instead of just half a day.

momindiana

Asked by momindiana at 11:26 AM on Aug. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I wouldn't get her in that habit.. I understand rocking a baby, but a 5 year old would be hard to break.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:29 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I hold my 5 year old daughters hand when I am putting her to bed....
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 11:35 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• You are gently helping your 5yo to sleep and you think that's a problem?

I'm glad you're not my mom... I appreciated the love and affection my mom gave me, and I'd hate to think she spent most of her time while giving it trying to figure out how to get out of it.

Children naturally outgrow childhood, and when they have their needs met along the way they don't end up deranged as adults. It's kids who are shoved faster than they can go, compelled to behave as if they're more mature than they are, or frankly completely abandoned with threats of violence or the withholding of necessities (like food) for crying out in need who end up those creepy, needy, anti-social nightmares everyone seems terrified their kids might become.

Love your child to sleep for as long as she needs it. She will not need it at 20 with any guy who'll stay over, if you meet the need now.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:36 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• With my 5 yr old...he watches 1/2 hr of TV before bed. If he wakes up in the middle of the night he usually comes & crashes on my bedroom floor...
    baetjc

Answer by baetjc at 11:38 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• By 5, children should be able to self-soothe in order to get back to sleep. Try sitting with her, talking softly to her, rubbing her back - all for a brief period of time ... these things may help her get back to sleep and wean her off of the rocking.
    She may just be looking for a little reassurance, since she's not spending as much time with you now that she's in full-day school. She'll adjust - but yes, rocking is not really the answer. You want her to adjust in a healthy way.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 2:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Sometimes, as kids get older they have brief moments of missing that closeness they had when they were younger. Sounds like you rocked her that once and she just really liked feeling that physically close to you. I think it's great but I don't think I'd do it every night. Maybe make it a rule that you will rock her one night a week or maybe 2. That way she is able to feel connected but it's not turning into an all the time habit. Honestly, I have a 7 yr old that doesn't even hug unless asked most of the time... but sometimes I'll be in the chair or on the couch and he will curl up next to me and just say "I love you mom" Sometimes they just need those moments.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 11:48 PM on Aug. 27, 2010