Do you know about the fake healthy food act?

Congress is about to try and push this through as soon as they get back off vacation. I'm tired of having these bills pushed through without our knowledge or consent. I'm sure most of them don't even know whats in it.
Please check out this site and especially the video on the site for info on the bill that will be the farthest thing from good for America.
Link text

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 11:26 AM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• He who controls the food ...

This is a bill that should have never been written, let alone considered ~ but it's likely to pass. Agribusiness had a good grip on the market until about 20 years ago when grass fed meat and organic produce began to make some waves. Those waves have gotten bigger each time there is another report of food borne illness, contamination at packaging plants, and recalls. The more it is hyped (and it should be!) in the news, the more people start taking a long look at what they are putting on their plates and changing their shopping habits. Now it's begun to put a dent in profits ~ and agribusiness has found a solution. Driving the small farmers and organic producers out of business will give them back their monopoly. NAIS/the new NAIS is the same thing aimed at meat production. What it will do is eliminate all freedom of choosing what we eat because it will all be the same gunk.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:11 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Everything Congress does is public information --if you want to know what they're doing, get yourself the information. If you want to be involved, do so. There is nothing in the world that can stop you from being an active citizen if you choose to be...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:30 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I've posted about this twice before and got little or no response for CM members. GL with your attempt today,I think it is very important. The liberals on this website, actually responded by saying they were for it. We'll see....I always thought health food advocates and organic producers tended to be a bit more liberal, maybe I was wrong.
    My sister who is a huge healthy food advocate and activist, has stated this will be the one thing that removes her from the Democratic voting booth.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:32 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• It is absolutely amazing/outraging how much the government tries to regulate these things. I will be emailing my senator. Big business is destroying this nation. I heard a story around here a while back about a mother who was watching the other children on the street for 30 minutes in the morning (her friend's kids) until the bus came so the working moms could get to work on time. She did it for free as a favor. Somehow it came out and legal action was taken against her for not having a license to watch them!!! What the hell is going on with this country? If you go grow some tomatoes in your yard and sell a few to your neighbor soon you'll be having the law coming after you. Agribusiness is AWFUL. Reading Michael Pollan and The China Study has really opened up my eyes. The government is destroying our food source, nutrition, and in return our health as a nation. It's just awful. Thanks for sharing!
    Kisses4Henry

Answer by Kisses4Henry at 11:40 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• we all know that anything congress does is publicly available knowledge but i think was she is saying is how congress pushes bills through without letting the american people vote on it. the public really has no voice anymore its whatever our government feels that they benefit from. there are many issues that are made law or gone into effect that we the people have never voted on. i for one am very upset about this because most time unless you are glued to cspan and constantly looking up what the next bill that is before congress is you never know what is really going on. and i for one am tired of crap being shoved down my throat from a new law that i never knew any about and was never put before me as a voter.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:44 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Thank you SO much for posting...I will be writing to Senators today. This is so scary. I am a Democrat and think that our Government has and is failing us when it comes to food safety. I guess I didnt think it could get much worse. I imagine this is pretty much the same thing that happened to that poor soybean farmer in the documentary Food, INC. Anybody know what I am talking about? Basically they made it impossible for him to harvest his OWN seeds and they won. Big food companies fighting the little guy and winning only because they had the money to do so. Instead of congress bowing down to money, they should be protecting our real farmers and making laws to STOP big food corporations from this undeserved power. All for the love of money and the greed of humans. How VERY sad. You can vote by boycotting these companies and shopping at local Farmers Markets. You buy the product, you are paying to pass this bill.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:06 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Has anyone actually read the bill? I've been doing a lot of research on this since you posted. From what i gather, it all stared because of food contamination. There is nothing in the bill that says you cannot grow your own veggies. From what i gather, they're trying to crack down on food contamination. Organic farms & local farms are going to have to take heavy measures to prove their food is healthy to sell. They want farmers to stop cutting corners when ti comes to food safety. Every time they find contaminated food, it's usually because farmers are cutting corners & not being careful enough.

Do a little more research. They're not trying to take the farmers markets away.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:25 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• You can find out what Congress is doing by searching their sites (not other third party sites that claim they are doing something), I agree with Linda on this one.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 11:33 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I'll bump to help get the message out
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:39 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Thank you very much, i am passing this on, I live in a local farming area, everyone around me farms, this will kill all of the other jobs that are open to people in my area, and leave more people out of a job, and out of income!
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 11:40 AM on Aug. 26, 2010