im clueless

I started up my own business about a year ago. My mom and Aunt gave me all of their beads and wire and tools, So i could have an easier start, Sence i was broke at the time. Well i made some items . Sold 1 at a craft fair. then market the prices down half the price. Sold a couple more. I have several items left. I have no idea why the haven't sold or anything? I'm wondering if i can have advice on this. I have an artfire account. But i don't want to put my name on it Sence i can't advertise on here.. Even though that isn't what i am doing.. But if you could help me with this i can figure out what to do... thankyou for taking time to read this

Mrs.Ro

Asked by Mrs.Ro at 11:48 AM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• What kind of market research did you do in your start up?

Do you know if the people you're in front of are interested in owning or wearing the styles that you're making? Did you assess your competition to see if your prices and/or quality was in line with the market? Did you identify a niche that had demand but no supply?

In these economic times, people are being more careful with their money and are demanding either much, much lower prices, or much higher quality for their dollar. How have you positioned your materials and offerings to match that?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:52 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Have you tried Etsy? It's a site where you can sell homemade craft items. Most of them are pretty awesome!
    bethanysmom1007

Answer by bethanysmom1007 at 11:52 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Yeah i have my jewelry on both Artfire and etsy. My jewelry is more for 12 year olds i guess. MY family really gave me the kids style beads. So that is what i went for. I have no idea what to search for on line for that age group sence its the parents that would have to buy them for their kids.. its hard.
    Mrs.Ro

Comment by Mrs.Ro (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Try Etsy.com
    Maybe you need to freshen up the style that you're going with. It could be the style you have isn't appealing to the public.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:58 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I've been there. My mother and I made these beautiful bracelets. They are crocheted using 400 tiny Japanese glass silver lined beads to make a rope and finished with clasps, charms and crystal beads. We made about 100 of them. They are very time consuming to make because you had to string them in a certain order to produce a pattern and then start crocheting them together. We asked $25 for them, I had seen others sold on the internet for over $70. We did craft shows, advertised on MSN Expo, and posted at Ebay w/free shipping.... we've sold three. We aren't even asking to be paid for our time at that price. The disappoint of it was, we had received so many compliments on them, how beautiful and elegant they are, and the awesome craftsmanship. But no one wanted to pay for that. I completely understand what you are going thru

WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 4:16 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• So sorry to hear this. Well you may be able to give some as gifts to get the word out. If someone is wearing them and a friend asks where did they get it, you get word of mouth which is helpful.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 5:10 PM on Aug. 29, 2010