What exactly qualifies one to be a Christian?

Sorry for the first one ... I am interested to know what others think on this ......What exactly qualifies one to be a Christian? Do you have to believe in many of the tenants of Christianity like Satan, hell, sin, the inerrancy of Scripture? Do you have to believe in the trinity? Do you have to believe in the death & resurrection of Christ? Do you have to believe in the second coming of Christ and if so what do you think will happen at that point?

Gal51

Asked by Gal51 at 12:04 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Haha, everyone its okay! Please don't fight!

I promise I'm not offended. I wasn't aware for a minute what exactly was going on, but I understand the situation now, and its okay! I'm actually rather flattered at the people who have stood up for me, although I can understand how confusing my beliefs may be to someone who isn't familiar with them. If anyone wants to ask me anything they're more than welcome to, whether through the question/answers section or PM. I'm perfectly comfortable explaining myself and answering questions. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:52 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• You have to believe in and accept both Jesus and YHWH and do your best to live by the example they set forth. Beyond that, the rest is just bonus points... Not even all Christians can agree on is there a devil, or hell, or is the bible the actual word of God or not... It's about having the relationship with those deities and living your life by the example they have given for their followers...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:22 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Being the opposite of the people who ask stupid judgmental questions like this. The poster you are referring to is very much Christian and understands that word better than you ever could.

Does this hit a nerve or something? She's asking a question: What do you think qualifies one to be a Christian? Stop acting like she said "You have to do ____, ____, ____, and _____, otherwise you aren't a Christian."
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Being Christian is an open book, you're not saying hey I'm baptist or catholic and follow these rules and guidelines. But, I guess it is in the individuals eyes on how it is looked at! I say that Having Christianity is the over all belief in God himself, that he exists and you accept him into your home and hearts with open arms. You are not following a book that says you have to believe in this, and this is the way it goes, and if you are homosexual it is an automatic route to hell.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 12:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• A christian by it's name would be someone who believed that Jesus Christ the son of God came to earth and died on a cross taking our sins to hell and being seperated from God for 3 days and then rising again and conquering sin. There are lots of little things that people debate about in between, but who really knows other than God. People can only stand for what they believe. I believe in order to fully understand Jesus's sacrifice one would need to believe that we are all natural sinners and we need to be forgiven. I also believe that you have to believe in Hell and Satan because otherwise there is no force to stand against, but legalistic stuff like baptism and speaking in tongues I just can't see being so important that one answer or the other is correct. There is only one thing that needs to be the same and that is Christ's sacrifice.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 12:10 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• imo its a belief that Jesus Christ is worthy of being followed...someone who follows Christ's example. all the rest is left up to interpretation, translation, denomination, and just all around feelings.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• IMO, a Christian is someone who believes in the person of Jesus, the message of love, compassion, and humility shown through his life, the thought that he reveals to us the character of God, Who is love and compassion, who believes that living by his teachings and following his example can bring us closer to God as well as our fellow man.

I believe that the main point is that Jesus shows us the Way in which God wants us to live (with love and compassion), the Truth about God's character (that He is love), and a new Life full of meaning, purpose, and love for God and our fellow man.

All the other stuff falls under the different divisions of Christianity, but the above is all I believe one must meet to qualify as a Christian. To merely consider oneself a Christian leaves open a whole world of possibilities and options when it comes to matters of faith and doctrine, as there have always been differing opinions about the issues.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Being a christian is something you either are...or you aren't. Following the bible or the teachings of the church won't turn a bastard into a saint. There are lots of bastards that walk into their church sometimes several times during the week. They pray on streetcorners and deprive themselves of the things that they feel they are supposed to give up. And they hate and despise everyone who doesnt' believe or act EXACTLY as they do. They spit venom onto fellow human beings that they consider to be unworthy, or that they judge to be less holy than they, themselves, think they are. They chew on their own bitterness. Jesus said "Love one another as I have loved you." and "Do unto others what you would have them do unto you." My mother lived those words. She was what I think a christian really is.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:25 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• "hence the name CHRISTian"

Christian = Christ-like. It doesn't imply an adherence to specific criterion of faith. I believe that to accept and apply this label or title to yourself means that you make the conscious effort and take on the conscious responsibility/obligation to be like Jesus, to follow in his example in being compassionate, loving, kind, gracious, etc.
    Now, I DO believe that being a Christian means having Jesus, in some way, at the center or head (or other equivalent) of one's beliefs- choosing to be like HIM, to honor HIM and follow HIM. But I don't believe that in order to do any of those things someone must accept opinions and doctrines that were established by someone other than him, or that one must accept or believe things that didn't come directly from him. It doesn't mean one is obligated to believe things about him (or faith in general) that he didn't specifically posit or claim...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:53 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:09 PM on Aug. 26, 2010