6 month old springer spaniel terrified of car rides

We have had our pup since she was old enough to leave her mom and have raised her wonderfully in every area (I have loads of experience with dogs) so she went through the normal fearful puppy stage but moved through it and well over the past 4 weeks she has been not wanting to go in the car. Not coming, then shaking the whole time we are in the car. The thing is I can't leave her at home on the two days we go to town because she would be in the house for 8-12 hours and I can't leave her out now that it is below freezing. We have moved from riding in the kennel to sitting on the seat but it hasn't relived the problem. I don't play into it but how do I get her past this? We also take walks and she get loose when we are at safe places.

aktracyann2

Asked by aktracyann2 at 5:22 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Pets

• i work with kids, in therapy we would suggest really short rides,, with a great treat when she goes, take her for doggy icecream, take her to the drive through at mcdontals, slowly increase teh trips, continue rewarding, yeah you dont wanna play into it but if she has a real fear reassuring and consoling her isnt a bad thing to do. it is what i would want done to me! think about it like a kid with the fear of water, you wouldnt wanna keep them in the water too long and you would want to take baby steps to mute the fear. good luck, i have an australlian shepard that can hold it for 8 hours while i work, really 9 hours with travel, they learn to drink water when they can pee, so leaving her that long isnt impossible.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 6:42 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• This seems to be a pervasive problem with Springers. We bred them when I was growing up, and almost every single one hated the car. The worst trip was when we went camping for a week. The two hour trip to the park was awful, and one dog was just plain scared, the other barfed. Even now my parents' Springer, Sammy, he won't ride in the car! Perhaps this breed just has vertigo or very sensitive equilibriums that make them carsick...I don't know. Your dog is still young, though. So keep trying. But honestly, I would not get my hopes up. I just have too much experience with this breed, they just don't like cars. :(
    WayBackWhen

Answer by WayBackWhen at 9:32 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• ok here is an different answer for you. Take and cover the back windows of the car where she /he sits. include the area accross the seat where they can see out, in the front. Not the front window but the seat behind you. Take short rides and see how they react, Not seeing out will give them the security they need. When the are used to the shades, blankets or what ever you put up , the take down one at a time. and gradualy introduce them to the outside. Use crates covered if you can't do the windows. Had a dog that was scared to death to ride in the car. Used a crate and covered it and he never knew what waaas happening.!God luck...
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 7:55 PM on Oct. 10, 2008