How important is it to keep a "family" name in the family

My mom's side always uses the middle name Ann for the girls because my grandmother's middle name was Ann but when I got prego with my daughter I told everyone I wasn't using that name and I got lots of "bad" comments about it.

stewieswife

Asked by stewieswife at 12:08 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Baby Names

• It's your baby not theirs, so you get to decide if you want a middle name Ann. My family has the middle name of Wade on my moms side and I didn't pass it down either and I got bad comments as well.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:10 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Personally, I think "Ann" is too simple. But like mommy of two388 said, its your baby, not theirs
    janieishappy

Answer by janieishappy at 12:11 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I think as long as 1 person continues the tradition then it's OK but if it's only been done since your grandmother, it's not a big family tradition yet, it's not like it's been going on since your great great great grandmother from over in Europe or whatever LOL
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:11 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• People are ridiculous. Not their business if you use it or not! Just because they decided to do something for their children doesn't mean their children have to follow along. I like to search through old family trees for name ideas cause I like the idea, but even expecting that is too much. Family and friends shouldn't expect anything from the name other than it's the one you and your SO wants for your child.
    Kisses4Henry

Answer by Kisses4Henry at 12:12 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Important? Not at all.

Historic? Not really. 'Always' in these things often turns out to be 3 whole generations... whoop-di-doo.

Flattering? Usually, this is the real issue at hand. People want to be remembered while they're alive to be annoying about it. People don't seem to care so much once they're dead...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:14 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Some families get into this, some don't. There is none of it in our family. I would have a hard time with it if there was. Good luck! They'll get over it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• do what you want. not what they want. in the end they will love your baby the same regaurdless of her middle name.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:16 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Well for one. It goes back only to grandma, i dont think thats a long enough history for it to be all that important where a fuss is being made. Now if it dated back many generations then I could see the upset it would cause. I wouldnt worry about it. Its your baby to name not theirs.
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 1:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Ann is a very nice middle name, depending on the first name. But what matters is if you like it or not. If you like it, you should use it - and if you don't, that's your choice to make, not theirs.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 2:16 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Well I wanted our son to at least have his Dad's first name , I got that. Then my girls each got: my 1st DD my first name 2 DD my 2nd first name., as their middle names. I had a first name with 2 names, a Betty-Jane as an example. no middle NAME. The girls got my name bec of natural child birth, no epidurel no nothing. Hope I didn't confuse you.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 3:34 PM on Aug. 26, 2010