What is "No Schooling"?

Ive seen this before and noticed it on some profiles here on CM but am unsure what it is exactly.
Im guessing it means no formal schooling but is that legal(if thats what it is)?

BonesDragonDew

Asked by BonesDragonDew at 5:23 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in General Parenting

• I believe it is the same as unschooling. I have read a little on it but am no expert. What they believe is that children will learn things when they are ready. They teach at home but only when the child starts to show an interest in the specific thing and do not follow any set time table of what a child should know at a certain age. If I got anything wrong there please correct me.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 5:50 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Oh ok, thank you.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 6:19 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Yes, it's a form of home schooling. The theory goes like this... you want your child to learn to read, but you want him to do it in his own time, when he wants to. So you find something he is interested in learning more about - like dinosaurs. Then you try to get him to want to learn to read on his own so he can read the books about dinosaurs. It may work for some kids and some parents but the info I read when I first looked into it says that most kids learning with this method fall way behind age mates and never catchup. It is very common for 10 and 11 year olds to still not know how to read.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:58 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• It's an excuse for parents to be lazy and either not send their kids to school or homeschool them properly.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:04 PM on Oct. 9, 2008