Does anyone get sick of this welfare argument?

"I'm paying for it".

For example, I recently saw a post from someone whining about someone paying with their food stamps for what they considered junk food. For some reason, that was that person's business what the thero person was eating. Because they "pay for it", they deserve a say in what was bought? I've heard this argument countless times.

I hate to break it to ya, but a small percentage of your taxes are actually going towards that. Are you aware that tax payers pay for the roads? Do you drive on them? Do those people tell you where you can and cannot drive? Do your kids go to a public school? Are you aware that many people who do not have children pay taxes, and that taxes go towards schools?

I'm not on welfare, but I don't think that I own someone who is, or that I have the right to tell them how to live their life.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 12:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree it is annoying. I get funny looks every pay day when I go shopping get my food with fs and pay for diapers with cash. Sorry didn't know it was a crime to put diapers on my kids ass. OH you should've seen the people when I got dd's school stuff that was a hoot. I had a lady tell me if I can buy a back pack I can buy food. Really?
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:38 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Evidently not. It's a common topic.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:18 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I agree. We were on FS off and on for a couple of years. And my daughter has been on state medical since she was born, 5 1/2 years ago. Sometimes we had to pay a little ($20 or so each month) for it, but most of the time we paid nothing. And everything was covered. Makes me wonder if they want to do my grocery shopping for me or come when I take my kid to the doctor so they can stop any unnecessary stuff being done.
    Even before we were on any help, I have always thought that if your income made you qualify then it's your business and so what you want with what you get.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• i think it comes more from the thought that if you are working/paying taxes, someone may feel a non-working recipient is getting something for nothing. i'm just sayin'...no one likes to see someone else get for 'free' what they have to work/pay for. its logical, albeit self-centered and selfish. its not an ideal system,and when it works, it works. however, for a lot of people, they don't see it working; they just know they are working, and seemingly, paying more taxes all the time.
    i can see both sides.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• It's an interesting idea, if you pay for it you control it. I see it in parents (I pay rent/mortgage, you have to follow my rules) and employers and even husbands (more often than wives) doing it... like that's 100% of the power in any issue.

Frankly, I couldn't care less who pays for something --a basic freedom is a basic freedom and a basic right is a basic right. If we take it as read that selecting ones own food is a basic freedom and a basic right (as opposed to being handed what the government thinks is 'adequate' like in schools and prisons), then who is paying for it is immaterial.

Everyone uses the roads, even people who don't drive. Without the network of roads no one would have food or anything else to buy in local stores, and if they were destroyed tomorrow it would take most cities less than 3 days to collapse completely --no major population center stockpiles enough food or fuel for more than a few days.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• It's a tired argument, but some questions seem to have a twist on them which is what makes me answer at times.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:22 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Actually, I don't really get sick of it. I think it's interesting to see what people think about that topic. I believe the system is broke and shouldn't be swept under the rug. I know too many good, honest people who need the help that don't get it and too many abusers getting more than they need. Hopefully more people take action to help improve it.
    Kisses4Henry

Answer by Kisses4Henry at 12:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• In some ways, in some ways not. To me it is like child support, I pay it, I hate paying it, I want to say what the money should be used for. But I can't, and I don't, and it benefits my son.

There will always be cases of abuse, but for every one case of abuse there are 10 cases of real true success stories.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 12:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I will tell you honestly that it bothers me when I see someone paying with an ACCESS card for steaks, name brand soda, and all kinds of treats, when I have to budget every last dime to even afford one box of cookies.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:18 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I do get tired of it. Things happen in people's lives, and they can find themselves suddenly in need of help. The assumption seems to be that if people get any kind of assistance, they are not working. That is not always the case. Not everyone is taking advantage. Imagine losing your only income, having to get a Legal Aid attorney to help you fight for your unemployment benefits while you look for a job, and having to tell your kids, "Sorry, but you must eat only healthy food all the time now because some people might not approve if I buy you X".
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:45 PM on Aug. 26, 2010