For Catholics....Why do you believe in purgatory?

Is it true that Catholics believe that if you have been "a bad person" all of your life, that when you die, you will go here (purgatory...a place like hell) for a while until you pay your debt, and then you go to heaven? This what I have heard so I want to clear it up if it is a misconception. Also, what happens to you in purgatory?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• The best explanation I've heard about purgatory is from this youtube clip. It doesn't say purgatory but you'll get the concept. Everyone that is in "purgatory" will go to heaven, but NOT everyone goes to purgatory. Also purgatory isn't so much is place as it is a state of mind; so also may never go to purgatory in the after life.... The clip will show how it's a state of mind. Youtube link (5 minute video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcBS3y9Pc5E

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 7:56 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• so also may never go to purgatory in the after life...is a typo. Sorry.

It's suppose to say some also many never go to purgatory in the after life.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:02 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Purgatory (Lat., "purgare", to make clean, to purify) in accordance with Catholic teaching is a place or condition of temporal punishment for those who, departing this life in God's grace, are, not entirely free from venial faults, or have not fully paid the satisfaction due to their transgressions.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12575a.htm

njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 9:32 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Idk but the HOLY BIBLE says heaven or hell....Idk why they don't get that...Once it's too late it's too late...You had your chance on earth to make it right.
    Anonymous

• Right, you only get your chance here and once you cross over there are no second chances. Purgatory is NOT a second chance. I highly suggest watching the youtube video that I linked to earlier.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:08 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:23 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Also this JEWISH belief might be informational. Remember Jesus was a Jew. "Kaddish": Judaism requires a mourner to stand up every day, publicly (i.e., in front of a minyan, a quorum of 10 adult men), and reaffirm faith in G-d despite this loss. To do so inures to the merit of the deceased in the eyes of G-d, because the deceased must have been a very good parent to raise a child who could express such faith in the face of personal loss. According to Jewish tradition, the soul must spend some time purifying itself before it can enter the World to Come.

Source: http://www.jewfaq.org/death.htm#Kaddish

SAHMinIL

• No Catholics answered...Hmm...I guess it's their way of saying "Hey...It's okay if we sin as much as we want on earth because we will make up this thing called purgatory to relieve us of our guilt!"
    Anonymous

• What...I'm Catholic and I gave many answers.....
    I've said it's NOT a place for second chances....if you as you put it sin as much as you want with no regard for anything then you'll go to hell!

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:53 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I highly suggest you watch the youtube clip that I gave in the very first post; I also suggest reading the information in the link that njmommy2boys posted. I also suggest that you read the information in the other links that I've also posted for you as well.

No Catholic answers...ugh!!! I'm Catholic-Christian and I've given many post and link for you to be able to read and learn something for yourself. This is only post number 7 for me :)
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:57 PM on Oct. 10, 2008