My 5 year old son is going to school in 2 weeks and I'm at the end of my rope with his disrespect towards me.He does things to push me over the edge until I've hit him with the belt and I've been there with the timeouts to no avail so what else can I do with this boy before I lose what's left of my mind?

mommys1luv

Asked by mommys1luv at 12:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Get and read Unconditional Parenting.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:16 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• First change YOU...calm and assertive team leader gets respect. He is all over the place because you are out of control~a belt? Would you use a belt on this same child as a newborn~what the hell are you thinking?

surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:18 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Have you tried taking away all his fav things one by one? Video games? TV privileges? My son has an obsession with silly bandz and I remove one from his possession every time he argues. That works SOMETIMES.
    silvergecko264

Answer by silvergecko264 at 12:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I am just amazed that you HIT HIM WITH A BELT!!! I think it is time that you get some therapy, anger management classes? And try to DESERVE respect. A child will only act in a disrespectful way when confronted with an out of control and inconsistent adult. Calmly and quietly tell him what you expect from him....NO shouting and no swearwords. You have to EARN respect from kids and adults in your life by behaving in a responsible,non-violent way. Get some help---really!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I would go and talk with my peds dr. I would also look to the school district and see if they had any classes that you could take that might teach you some other tactics to take with him.
    KiraSaucedo

Answer by KiraSaucedo at 12:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• you hit your son with a belt? not bashing but thats sad. i think you both should go see a counselor and learn how to deal with each other. he may have adhd or something that makes itout of his control.
    I was hit with belts and wooden spoons as a child and i wouldnt wish that on any child, its horrible and thats the kind of memmories that stick. he will always remember you hitting him with belt. i owuldnt want that to be what my kids remembered about me growing up. when i think about my dad...all i really remember is that kind of shit. please get someone to help you out. if its not a counselor take a parenting class or something.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:21 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My son is 5 also, all I can say is for the tough they get tougher. That means to me your son is not a bad boy just pushing or asking you for something esle. I have already been through the spanking everyday thing is doesn't always work. My son got his first detention yesterday and all it was that he was tired. I found out that him and his sister where taking our puppies 2 or 3 times a night outside so that can take restroom break. Don't go crazy MOM just take it one day at a time.
    evedes2000

Answer by evedes2000 at 12:22 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• REALLY....A BELT! Let me beat you with a belt! That is ridiculous...thats why he is out of control...yes blame yourself. I am not against spanking on the bottom w/ your hand but a belt and on top of that he is only 5! Wow you need to change yourself before you expect your son to change!
    3beautbabies

Answer by 3beautbabies at 12:24 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• – collapse
    If I were you, I'd get a BIGGER belt! A good old fashioned spanking is what that boy needs. He'll get the message. Take away all his toys and fun time and keep him in a empty room if possible. Bore him to hell and he'll think twice after a good ten lashings. Kids listen really well when the associate bad behavior and pain! Name one person who hasn't turned out well from a childhood of spankings.
    NikkiVan1

Answer by NikkiVan1 at 12:26 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• @Nikkivan1 I was spanked with a belt when i was a kid and It didn't help a thing it just made me scared of my dad and I would never tell him anything. I never learned a thing from it except to try harder not to get caught next time. Kids learn for explanation of what they did wrong and things being taken away from them Not physically hitting them ...that is just ridiculous....have fun with your future problem child who will always remember you hitting him with a belt and will tell people about it just as I am now when he is grown!!
    3beautbabies

Answer by 3beautbabies at 12:33 PM on Aug. 26, 2010