just wondering

is it ok to give water to a one month old?
my mom says its ok but i just dont think its right yet.
???

mikells_mommi08

Asked by mikells_mommi08 at 5:27 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes it is ok, sometimes they need something else. water is good for them. it rinses some of that formula off.
    Sunshyne78

Answer by Sunshyne78 at 6:39 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I would ask your pediatrician. Mine allowed us to give our baby a little water when he was that young only because he was constipated...and it was only for a couple of days. I think they can get some kind of water intoxication...and it can keep them from getting enough of what they need from the formula or breast milk. I know back in the day with my 16 yr old we were sent home from the hospital with sugar water. This time around, with my now 7 month old, they do not recommend it. Again, I would call the pediatrician on this one.
    pinkchick88

Answer by pinkchick88 at 5:31 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• There really isn't any need to. But a little bit is ok. There is enough water in your breastmilk or formula that babies don't need more.
    ambie1983

Answer by ambie1983 at 5:31 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• yes it's fine as long as it's not the primary form of liquid and formula or breast milk is. -Sincerely Cyndi "D
    SuperbowlBoys

Answer by SuperbowlBoys at 5:43 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• My pedi said okay if we were out in the heat alot and she needs a little extra, but not more than an oz or so.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:55 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• No need for it really. I wouldn't want to risk an electrolyte imbalance.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:07 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I was worried about my DD getting dehidrated. (she was born in march and we live in ga nice humid summers). I read up on it and it is ok to give them a little, just make sure not to give them a lot b/c it will fill them up then they won't want their formula, and they could also make them constipated or have diariah. The best thing to do would be to talk to your dr.
    Abby28

Answer by Abby28 at 2:33 AM on Oct. 10, 2008