How do you moms know when it time to go up a size in diapers?

I think my little guy is growing out of size 3 diapers but he is only 3 months old and only 19 lbs. How could this be? The diapers r starting to get tight around his legs and are now below his belly button. Do i need to change to size 4 when i go shoping on firday?

nikkik526

Asked by nikkik526 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes my 11 month old is in size fives not cause of the weigh but if he would pee once it would be all over him thats the only size to hold the mess in my oldes was buy the weight size but if he is leaking through i would go up in size
    saadamarie

Answer by saadamarie at 12:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• the way they fit. For example, my dd was in a size 4 pul up, it was a little loose around the waist, kept sagging down a little, but it was a little tight aound the butt and leg, so when I switched her to 5 they stayed up better and arn't at all tight. I don't really know if I can't see it though... :/
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 12:22 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• when it gets too tight anywhere or when they start exploding from pee - sounds like you have a big round cute baby so I am sure it could be time - my son is almost 3 ( still not potty trained argg... ) and in size 3 but he's tall and tiny.. my my niece was 7 months old in a size 5 because he was a good eater so it all depends on the baby.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• A 3 mo baby that weighs 19 lbs is overweight. My 3 sons all weighed around 17 lbs at 12 mo. My 23 mo grandson only weighs 21 lbs. You are overfeeding even if you are breastfeeding. Overweight babies start having health problems as infants and can have lifelong weight and health problems.

The reason your baby is outgrowing diapers is your baby is overweight, possibly so overweight as to be considered obese.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:24 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Yes i think u should step it up to the next side..so that the little man can b comfortable :)
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 12:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Gailll- for ur information, his doctor, WIC, and my doctor have all said he is a healthy baby is is long and heavy! I did not ask for ur bitch input, i asked a question and only wanted answers to the question.
    nikkik526

Comment by nikkik526 (original poster) at 12:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• When it starts leaking, but even with my 3rd kid I'm still not sure. My son has blow outs a lot and I don't know if going up a size would help or not. But my son is in a 3 and I'm wondering if he might need a 4 soon, he only weighs 16 1/2 lbs. So, by weight your baby might need the next size. I find the weights on the packages to be WAY off.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:34 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• And wow Gaill, 17 lbs at 1 year for a boy isn't even on the charts, please don't tell another mom her baby is overweight just because he isn't the same size as your kid.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:36 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• We almost had a blow out lastnight, it went up to the back of the diaper i caught it on time.
    nikkik526

Comment by nikkik526 (original poster) at 12:37 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Jeez Gaill you are at it again. Your 23 month grandson probably isnt even on the charts. Dont be so fast to judge others. Maybe this baby was 10 lbs when he was born. . If the baby leaks out of the diaper then it is time to go up a size. That is the method we use. Dont worry about what other mom's say about your baby's weight. If your doctor says he is fine then he is fine.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 1:08 PM on Aug. 26, 2010