Do you think that people are really as PC...

as they try to sound? Or is a lot of it just because they are trying not to offend anyone? Is it sincere?

What I mean is, do you think that a lot of people think differently than they say? It seems like everyone tries so hard to be politically correct, but I don't know if I'm buyin' it. Do you?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 12:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• What I say is what I think. I just filter it a little sometimes. Most of the time my brain to mouth filter is on the fritz though. I don't enjoy hurting someone's feelings or offending someone. I try to make my point in a way that gets it across without hurting them. I don't really do it to be PC though.
    Not sure what goes through anyone else's head when they speak. I'd hope that they have basic consideration, but some just seem to get a kick out of being mean.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:30 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I think rude thoughts all the time. What I choose to allow out of my mouth makes the difference between being rude or not. Its not about being PC to me, its about being considerate.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:26 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• If someone is offended by my opinions, than either A) I mean lot more to them than I realized, or B) they have a personal problem to cope with.

PC is NOT sincerity. I prefer honesty any day.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:25 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• i've never been one to say one thing and mean another just to save face or make friends. i'm not a butt-kisser, by any means. political-correctness is a load of crap. people will get offended at different times..grow up! deal with it! if we walked on eggshells around everyone, good grief, that'd be a lot of crunching..and pretty soon, that would be annoying, as well.
    i don't buy it, either. and you can tell when the personal poop hits the fan..PC goes out the door in a NYminute!!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• There's a difference between PC and being an asshole:

Everyone gets a trophy and nobody loses - overly PC
    Muslims are terrorists - being an asshole
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:36 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I am sure everyone has thoughts at times that are not so PC- if 1 has tact, 1 generally does not either say or scribe those thoughts all.of.the.time., if ever..... Truly, I think some people just lack that internal filter that screams, "not a good idea."

Duster, my husband was a general manager of a large Co where most of the employees, as well as the customer base, were black. He actually asked them what they preferred (both in city wide and Co meetings). The overwhelming response was "black."

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:38 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• It's no skin off my nose if people want to be called African American
    _________________
    Just an example, by the way...I almost always say black and nobody was ever offended to my knowledge.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 2:37 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

•  

Its just a word and have never seen it directed at someone with a medical condition. Calling someone a terrorist based on the fact that they are a Muslim is bigotry. Calling someone or something retarded has no bearing on a medical condition...it usually is closely related to the ACTUAL definition of the word.

--------------------------------------------
    It's used as an insult to someone acting stupid.  People, including innocent children, are not stupid even if they are mentally handicapped.  THAT is the problem I have with the word.  If someone is stupid, by all means, call them stupid.  Don't insult an entire group of people based on some idiot's actions.

Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I won't speak for others, but if I suddenly became uber-PC, it wouldn't be sincere.

I don't/won't say "African American". Someone actually called me out on saying "black" once. They asked, "Don't you mean African American?" I said "Nope."
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:29 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• All the PC terms that have come out over the last several years have come to the point of being a joke. It started with administrative assistant (secretary), flight attendant, etc, and now it's skinny challenged, handi-capable, etc. I don't like people saying the N word or fag or other derogatory terms, but ultimately, I think no matter what you say, SOMEBODY would be offended by it. I think people who are overly PC are too busy tiptoeing around other peoples' feelings to be sincere.
    As to DusterMommy's statement about "African American," if you were born in Africa, then you're African American. If you were born here, you're American. Yep, you're black. I'm white, not Italian American, and I don't get offended if you call me white. The black people I've talked to don't get offended by the term black, but again, I'm sure there's someone out there ready to be offended by anything. JMO
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:40 PM on Aug. 26, 2010