Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Ok, stupid me!

I am 35 weeks preggers and I had my bathtub refinished last Monday (I was out of the house, and didn't return till Wednesday late afternoon due to the strong ammonia fumes that this paint throws off) and when I got home there was paint dust ALL over the bathroom, so I proceeded to wipe the bathroom down with clorox cleanup. Later that evening, I thought to myself, hmmm was that such a great idea to wipe down the ammonia based paint dust with clorox cleanup? So my question is, do you think that in cleaning my bathroom up with clorox cleanup, I've harmed my child? Obviously the a/c was on and the house was ventilated, and I didn't stick my face right down into it, but it still concerns me!

Answer Question
 
PANZONSMOM

Asked by PANZONSMOM at 12:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

Level 19 (7,058 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • If you'd mixed ammonia with bleach you'd have known about it immediately. Ammonia off-gasses pretty quickly, so the only toxin you were inhaling was the bleach.

    Although why you'd bleach...well, anything you don't want to be lighter... is totally beyond me. I learned a long time ago that bleach is a bacteria-killer for less than 6 months after it's produced, and most bleach sits on shelves for easily that long before it's purchased. After that, it's a toxin and good for dissolving fabric and taking tea stains out of tea cups (and shining stainless steel sinks).

    I'd have suggested, had you asked, washing it with plain water. Nothing else was necessary, really...
    LindaClement

    Answer by LindaClement at 12:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

  • off gasses? What exactly does that mean? That I would have seen actual fumes?
    PANZONSMOM

    Comment by PANZONSMOM (original poster) at 12:30 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

  • if you had had enough exposure to it to harm your baby, you would have gotten sick first.
    HotMama330

    Answer by HotMama330 at 12:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

  • if there would have been a high enough concentration of ammonia and bleach mixed together there would have been gasses (yes, you could see the fumes) and you would have passed out. obviously this didn't happen so you're fine lol
    princessbeth79

    Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:33 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN