too early for chicken soup?

My son is six months old. I'm eating homemade chicken soup with ritz crackers and he is completely interested in it. So far I have only fed him fruits and veggies. Is it too early for me to let him try a soggy ritz cracker soaked in chicken broth?

GingerMom33

Asked by GingerMom33 at 12:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OMG!!!!! You'll kill him if he ingests ONE soggy bite of cracker!!! The horror, the horror!!! :)

Wow, my daughters are 7 and 9 and have EXCELLENT eating habits, loving veggies and fruits of all kinds--heck they'll eat stuff I won't touch, like beets. And yes, when they were 6 or 7 months old, I started giving them little tastes of things I was having and guess what--they're fine! I did not give them ice cream and things like that, but tastes of my soups, mashed potatoes, smooshy bananas, etc helped them develop an interest in a huge array of flavors. I find the people freaking out about this to be a little...dramatic. I'm all for promoting healthy eating habits in our children, but there is such a thing as taking it a little too far. If you want your son to have a small nibble of soggy, soupy cracker, I say go for it. I seriously doubt he'll suffer life-long damage from it.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Has he gotten any teeth yet?
    janieishappy

Answer by janieishappy at 12:24 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• No teeth. That's why it would have to be soggy. I'm unsure about when to give him something that has meat in it I guess. Its chicken broth.
    GingerMom33

Comment by GingerMom33 (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I wouldn't. Just because he is interested doesn't mean he needs it. Wheat is hard to digest and the crackers have salt. You could mix some soup in fork mashed cooked carrots, sweet potato, squash, or other veggies.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I would give a tiny bit (about the size of a pencil's eraser) and see how he does.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Jus watch him carefully as he eats it...enjoy :)
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 12:33 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Wow, I did not expect to get bashed for this question. I agree about the salt, you are right, but there is no need to be rude. Thank you to those who were kind. I want to do what is best for my son, which is why I ASKED other peoples opinions before just doing it. I also get that just because he is interested, doesn't mean he needs it. Again, this is why I asked. Sorry for acting so defensive, but I am so tired of people's rudeness on this sight. What ever happened to, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all?" This is supposed to be a site for help. Not a sight for bashing others.
    Okay, done with the rant :) again, thank you to those who were nice.
    GingerMom33

Comment by GingerMom33 (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I started feeding my daughter real food at 7 months. Is it homemade soup? While the sodium is high I might try something else but if she is that interested I would give baby a bite or two of soft veggie. If baby is ready. AKA mimmicing chewing motions.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 1:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• if he has no health problems an can swallow w/o chocking try it out as long as u are watching
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 1:35 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Yes. It is too early.

Crackers are not single-ingredient foods, and while the chicken soup would probably be fine, that cracker is loaded with simple sugars, salt, artificial flavors and artificial colors, plus the trans fat from the shortening which might be 'no trans fat' for the purpose of labeling loopholes (they manipulate the serving size so the trans fat load is too small to be required by law to add to the label, but that's not 'infant serving size') means 'this is not baby food.'

He'd be interested, at this point, in anything you were putting into your mouth, from clay to heroin. Let's not pretend that what a 6mo baby is 'interested in' has any bearing on what intelligent adults choose to feed them.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2010