Need help w/3 yr old and bedtime screaming!

I have 3 kiddos, a 5 year old that just started kindergarden, the 3 yr old and a 1yr old. My 3 yr old is usually a really great kid, likes rules and behaves pretty well. However we have been having bedtime and night issues, she will lay in her bed and scream whenever she feels like it (at bedtime or 3am), total melt down city. Doesn't like the dark, we got her a flashlight and a light she can turn on, can't sleep, we tried letting her watch a movie to fall asleep. I can't let her lay in her bed and scream, my 5 yo has to sleep so she can go to school (they share a room), and I can't put her in the baby's room, she'll wake him all night. These screaming fits when she doesn't get what she wants is breaking me. I don't want to punish her, but I feel like giving in is just making the problem worse. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Jackie1081

Asked by Jackie1081 at 12:33 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you tried one of those illumitation motion lights? You plug them in and it lights up and cast lights around the room in different shapes and colors. It may give her something to focus on instead of screaming. Good luck, that's a tough one.
    tessntylersmom

Answer by tessntylersmom at 1:29 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Why don't you give her what she wants right off the bat? I mean, unless she wants a beer or a toke or something, what is it that a 3yo could want that she can't have?

If you give in after an hour of screaming, you teach her to hold out 'cause you'll probably give in. If you give her what you're probably going to give in about eventually, you're minus-90-minutes of screaming. How's that bad for you?

What is the most generous and loving thing you can think of doing in the situation?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:36 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I've tried immediately giving in, she just finds something else she wants. I can't have her up all night and keeping everyone else up. She's just asking for anything she can think of to get to stay awake.

I don't know what to do, this has been going on for months, I've done everything I can think of, that's why I'm asking for help.
    Jackie1081

Comment by Jackie1081 (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2010