What does it mean when you keep feeling like you have something in your throat?

I feel like I've got gunk stuck down in my throat, but every time I try to hack it up nothing happens. I keep feeling like I've got to burp and sometimes when I burp I get this nasty, acid taste in my mouth. And every so often I'll get this pressure feeling from my stomach that runs up into my throat. And sometimes my throat will feel like it has a small burning sensation or like it's irritated. I'm beginning to wonder if it's acid reflux.

poptart0325

Asked by poptart0325 at 12:36 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Health

• Acid reflux is tearing up your esophogus. Tums probably won't cut it. Probably need a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) like prilosec or prevacid. One box of 14 pills (2 wk supply) will keep my acid reflux at bay for a couple of months. My esophogus will start feeling better just a few days in. :)
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:41 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• it's heartburn. try tums or some of the other remedies and see if that helps any
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:37 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Sounds like acid reflux... and the damage the acid in your throat is doing. Try otc remedies (or ginger, honey or green tea) for a week or two (to heal) before bothering your doctor about it... but it may be chronic and that needs treatment.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:37 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Oh... you can buy both prilosec and prevacid over the counter now. :)
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Follow your "gut" as they say. Try Acid Ease by Enzymatic and find a good doctor.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 12:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Really? I was on Prevacid as a teenager because of my tummy issues. I should probably get back on it again!

Thanks ladies for all of your replies. I'm going to try some OTC stuff and if that doesn't work, I guess I have to make an appointment with a doctor. Yikes!
    poptart0325

Comment by poptart0325 (original poster) at 12:43 PM on Aug. 26, 2010