Double standard?...

Why is it wrong for a 30yr old man to be with a 17yr old girl and call him a pedifile and throw away the key but when a 30yr old woman has an affair with her 17yr old boy student, it's called love and she gets less of a sentence? Back in the day, girls got marriend at 14. Were girls more mature then or have we come to be a sex-phobic society? And yet, everyone is doing it but just not practicing what they preach!

NikkiVan1

Asked by NikkiVan1 at 12:39 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Honestly, I think both situations are equally as icky. I mean, assuming they are two consenting (almost) adults, what on EARTH does a 30 year old have in common with a 17 year old? Weird.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• well first off i would have to know more about each of the cases, but i have heard several teacher/student cases (woman teacher, male student), and none of it was called love.... they all did jail time for it too. girls did get married at 14, but the man was usually not that much older, so i'm not sure where you're going with that remark....
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Both are wrong, but we are such a crazy society that sees boys as being manly and girls something that needs to be saved. Ugh.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 12:44 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Nothing wrong with it. I was 15 when I was with a 29 yr old and we are still together 3 years later.
    BeautytheBeast

Answer by BeautytheBeast at 12:44 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• If 17 is under the age of consent, the gender of the victim is irrelevant. So is the gender of the perpetrator.

Statuatory rape is about consent --or, rather, the legal inability of a person to give legal consent (usually because they are considered for the purposes of the law to be a minor, but also because of legal incompetence, as in the handicapped or insane). Being able to form the words 'sure, I'd love to' is not the same as being legally considered competent to do so.

Where I live, it is legal for a 14yo to consent to sexual interaction with anyone under 19, and anyone 16 or over can consent to any sexual activity they want apart from porn or stripping, for which one must be 18.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:45 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• You are right. I totally agree.
    As far as the whole sex offender labeling thing goes, I can't stand to hear about an 18-19 year old guy being labeled a sex offender for dating a 16-17 year old because her parents don't like him. When I was 16 I was dating an 18 year old. I think they go overboard on that a little, but then let the damn offenders live way too close to where kids are. They can live close to elementary schools, day care centers, all that.
    But yeah, it totally is a double standard. Have you thought about writing your congressman about it?
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 12:47 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Actually, some teacher/student cases are love. My husband and I started out that way. It's not something I often go out there on a limb and tell everyone, but it seems appropriate. I was of legal age and he was in his 20s. We ended up having something really special, he left his job and years later we were married and then a few years later had a son. We've been together 7 wonderful years. I think the maturity variation at 17 is quite large though. I oddly enough feel the opposite way about genders. Women often mature more quickly than men and I know at 17/18 I had A TON in common with 30 year old men. Now that I'm in my mid-20s I can't say I would have anything in common with a teenage boy... not even 19.
    Kisses4Henry

Answer by Kisses4Henry at 12:48 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• They get in trouble in both situations. Learn more about the legal system and how it works please.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• BOTH of them are PEDOPHILES......think about it.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I don't know where you live, but it's not called 'love' around here.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2010