Practice what they preach?...

Why do church going Christians have pre-marital sex when their pastors preach them to wait until marriage? And Christian parents tell their kids not to have sex but their parents did and the grandparents did and the great-grandparents did, and so on.. Why not leave it to the individuals to decide whether to wait or not? Lastly, who's a virgin these days at their wedding?...

NikkiVan1

Asked by NikkiVan1 at 12:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I was a virgin when I got married. It was so worth the wait for me and I'll teach my children the same things I was taught from my parents and they from theirs.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 12:47 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• WTH is up with all the attack questions today? No one is perfect, and not every person that belongs to a religion is going to agree with everything taught by their religious organization... That doesn't mean that the organization itself or the people themselves should change, it just means that there is rarely a perfect fit when it comes to religion...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:50 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• That's like saying every church goer sin's and in some way's don't live by the bible. No one is perfect, we screwed that up with Adam and Eve! God doesn't say you have to be perfect or else. That's why he made forgiveness, and the option of prayer to repent your sins. Practicing what you preach is a good idea, but when you're 15 you're not exactly think about what you will tell your kids. A person gets married with great intentions, but it often times fail because we were given the option to allow it to fail. In the old times ppl didn't marry for love (and some still don't), they married for money from the spouse's family, and to help them live. It worked then, but people have to option to marry a person for what they think is love between the two.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 12:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• why not recognize that no one is perfect, no matter what they are told/urged/suggested to do with their lives, huh OP? just because someone is a xtian(muslim, buddhist, volcun, etc), doesn't mean they will not 'fall'. i can tell people all day long not to eat too much sugar, but will that keep me from giving in to a twinkie or a bag of M&Ms?
    there are a lot of virgins getting married..not everyone sleeps around. judge much?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• For the record, I was a virgin when I got married....lol But that doesn't mean the temptation wasn't there!
    If we waited for a perfect person to tell us what was right to do, then we wouldn't ever learn anything. For someone to teach their kids not to have sex before they're married, is someone who thinks "wow I wish I would have waited, I should teach my kids what I wish I would have done".....so although "hypocritical".....it comes from love.
    I think this is why it's so important we make good decisions, we either wont regret....or make the right decision in the first place.
    There's also that factor that just because your Christian or any other religion for that matter, that your not perfect....nobody is. Nobody always does the right thing....we mess up....
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 12:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Welllllll......call me a hypocrite if you want, but I was NOT a virgin on my wedding day (nor was my groom my only partner) and I still plan to teach my children to wait.

I will do so in the hopes that my child can maybe learn a little from my mistakes. While having premarital sex didn't ruin my life, it did create problems that would not exist in my life had I waited.

I'm fully aware that my children may not listen, and will probably have premarital sex anyway. I'll deal with that and am not going to fly off the deep end.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:56 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• There are many things that the bible says and that the church teaches that not ALL individuals will follow. Christians are sinners too and make mistakes, and if they are truely trusting God and His design for things they will repent (meaning seek forgiveness and turn away from the thing they are doing wrong). That does not mean that they can't teach their children not to make their mistake. That does not mean that they are hypocrates either. A hypocrates will say "it was ok for me to have pre-marital sex, but not ok for you to do that". Jesus really is the only one who truely practiced what he preached 100% of the time. Every Christian has sinned in one area of the other, which is why we need Christ and what He did on the cross. Byut with being in relationship with Christ, Christians have the privilege of gaining benefits that are not deserved, such as forgivenness. This does not mean that its ok for Christains to sin......
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• cont... it just means that when someone messes up GOD in his grace and mercy will forgive.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:58 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• WTH is up with all the attack questions today?

The body of christ is cannibalizing itself today for shits and giggles and the fallout is landing everywhere.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:58 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I'm glad I didn't wait and even more happy my SO was experienced. Our sex life is frequent, dark, twisted and down right tasty. Most women who were virgins at marriage are content but men are different, they're always looking. Although they may not act upon their urges, they're definitely looking and wanting...someone younger, bigger boobs and a firmer tooshy! If you have let yourself go, then I'm sure you've caught his eye if your really paying attention to your man.
    NikkiVan1

Comment by NikkiVan1 (original poster) at 12:59 PM on Aug. 26, 2010