blankie?

when should you take away a comfort toy? DD is 4 and she still carries around a blanket, and i really want to take it away from her because i feel 4 is too old.

Mom2Giovanna

Asked by Mom2Giovanna at 12:53 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• No.... you don't need to.. I carried my pillow til well... I still need my pillow..lol! i even took it on my honey moon.. comfort is comfort at any age.. my mom said I would drag my pillow around until it was a rag - its ok ...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:54 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I don't think I will take away a comfort object. I may limit it to only in the house or car...but I wouldn't take it away completely. My 2 year old loves his elmo and there's no way I'm taking that away.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 12:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• We never took away the boys' comfort item. They eventually stopped using it around 6 or 7. But it was only allowed in the house and could not leave the house.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I'm 31 and still sleep with my blanket

the rule for me growing up was after 5, my blanket had to stay in my room unless I was sick

My almost 5 year old still takes his "bear" with him to child care daily
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:58 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I don't think you need it. It's not harming her physically or interferring with growth like a pacifer or bottle would with an older child. Eventually she'll become embarrased to carry it around everywhere so I say just let her grow out of it on her own. If I saw a 4 year old carrying around a blanket I wouldn't think anything wrong.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:58 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Never. You just limit the times she has it, and you place it in a safe place. Or if it is a blankie, you could ask if it is okay to cut off a piece and hold it in their pocket.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 12:59 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• What I would only allow her to sleep with it. She may throw a fit at first, but she'll get used to it. I think it's okay if they're only sleeping with it, but 4 is definately to old to be carrying it everywhere.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:00 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• At four it is ok, at 14 there may be a problem!! My 18 month old has a "lovie" (a silky blanket) but once she started walking we made the rule lovie stays in bed!! If she wants lovie time she will walk over to her bed I will put her in and she will spend her time with it!! When she is done she yells mama and I come get her out!! I did the same with the Binky. Only in bed!!
    Tazz2299

Answer by Tazz2299 at 1:00 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I wouldnt take it. Just keep it in the house for a while, then just keep in in the bed, unless she is sick or super upsett. Nothing wrong with having a comfort lovey.
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 1:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• my dad never took mine..i dtill have it..mine was repalceed with boys...lol..i always tell them bout my blankie...she will let it go in her own do tmx..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 1:52 PM on Aug. 26, 2010