they gave me codiene for bar back pain.

but it makes me feel really high. im worried about my baby. they said it was safe but it freaks me out still. anyone take codiene while pregnant?

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 12:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• sorry back pain
    cassie_m

Comment by cassie_m (original poster) at 12:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I took it once pp in the hospital while nursing. They say it's fine, but I hate taking drugs preg in general. I know a lot of people who took it for one reason or another preg though and their children were OK. I would really limit it unless it's unbearable though. Think of it like training for labor! lol.. but in all seriousness, sorry about your back :-/
    Kisses4Henry

Answer by Kisses4Henry at 12:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I have taken it many time while pregnant for the same reason. Although I have never felt high I have a high tolerance to medication they do not really help me all of the way but help me function when I am unable to get out of bed. If that makes sense. With the being said. I have taken it and had 3 healthy baby girls without any issues. It is a C drug I believe which means they usually steer clear but the doctor would not have perscribed it to you if they thought it would do hardm to your little one.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:58 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• its not normal pregnancy back pain. my spine is swollen because my hips arent aligning right, doc said there is a 2 inch difference on where they rest and its putting alot af strain on my back, it feels like someone repeatedly hit me with a baseball bat on my lower spine. amd you can physically feel the swelling on my spine, its more unbearable that when iv thrown my back out and had muscle spasms for weeks.
    cassie_m

Comment by cassie_m (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I would rather be in labor than deal with certain issues I have with my back. At least with labor contractions come and go. Back pain can be debilitating. I know I have been there, it is the reason why I got out of the Navy. I had shock treatments and ultrasounds done on my back 3 times a week without results, I have managed and seem to be doing better. Take it and get get relief. Stressing out and being in pain is also not good for the baby.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I have taken it to for severe spasms in my uterus, I have a subchorionic hemorrhage. But I only took two doses. But in ur case maybe just trying the minimal amount so maybe you wont feel so high, or see if you can take smaller doses more often. It cant hurt to ask.
    Casumael

Answer by Casumael at 2:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I wouldn't take it constantly, but it sounds like you have a pretty serious issue, and codeine is relatively safe for severe pain while pregnant. You can try a smaller dose, but it might not do what you need to knock down the pain.
    Are you able to do physical therapy with this type of issue while pregnant? That might help ease the pain in a non-medicated way. I'd be careful about a chiropractor, because there are a lot of them that can make issues worse, so be very selective if you go that route.
    Considering the risk/benefit balance, I'd say take the codeine when the pain gets bad. Like Melbornj said, the pain and the stress aren't good for the baby, even worse than the codeine.
    Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:29 AM on Aug. 27, 2010