How can I help my 15mon old through his separation anxiety?

My so plays well by himself and doesn't seem to mind being in another room to play if he goes to play. However, if you are in the same room and try to leave he freaks out. It is worse anyone leaves the house too. How can I help my 15mon old through his separation anxiety?

VictoriaYearout

Asked by VictoriaYearout at 1:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Are you making too much of it when you leave the room? If you casually leave without any fuss, he'll get used to your leaving. I'd watch your body language when you walk away from him. Are you looking over at him and feeling anxious every time you walk away? Visitors perhaps should say good bye with a hug or kiss and visit with you a few moments then casually leave. Just suggestions - hard to know how to answer without further details. Good luck. It must be heart breaking.
    sandif

Answer by sandif at 1:06 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• You can't--it is normal for his age.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 3:14 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• The only thing you can do is watch your emotions (they can read you...if you're nervous about walking away then why shouldn't he?), keep practicing and wait until he outgrows it. Don't coddle him. If he starts screaming as you walk away just casually say "I'll be right back" and then come right back. =)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:04 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• try to look "casual " cuz he can feel anxious if u are anxious ........... with my son , (he just turned one year old last friday : ) ) i just try to be as "normal " as i can , because when he seems me leaving he either follows me or starts crying ! ............ give him time , but with visitors or family members , have them say good bye with a smile , a hug or a nice word , said in a good and warm voice , cuz i know some ppl arent as warm to babies lol ( although is hard to believe lol ) like ........ "bye baby , see you soon ! " "or , auntie /grandma loves u " :) and he will start to see "leaving" isnt a terrible thing !
    happymom1988

Answer by happymom1988 at 11:21 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• UGH! my 19 month old is doing this too! LOL Her's is a bit more with jealousy though because I'll stop what I'm doing to go get her little sister- 6 month old baby- and she gets jealous! LOL I play with all 3 of my girls all day long while my son is at school, but the two older girls have issues! She can be off playing with something in the corner, and I'll get up to get a glass of water or something and she'll just come tearing through the house to find me. I've started ignoring her a bit, but still talk to her and tell her mommy's busy, but I'm almost done, I'll be right there. just to reassure her, but carrying around the shirt I've wore the day before has really helped her! LOL Like she's got a bit of mommy all the time! LOL in fact she went to bed with my shirt from today! It's frustrating, but it's the transition between "depending on mommy for everything" VS "Hey, I can do this all by myself!"
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 12:46 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My son went through this from the time he was born until the time he was two. I couldn't put him down without him screaming (he was a preemie). It was exhausting, frustrating, and I never thought it would end, but he did grow out of it. What helped me the most was leaving him with more people more often. I would leave him with grammy, or auntie (people he was familiar with, and saw often) and gradually he would throw less of a fit. Occasionally he still has moments, like yesterday when I wanted to take a nap (baby number two on the way, I'm wiped!) and he said "Mama, I tay you" which means I want to stay with you. I put a movie on for him, and left him with a sitter while I went into the other room to take a nap. the movie helped distract him, and I got 15 minutes of peace and quiet.. Good luck, Mumma, you just have to see it thru, it will end eventually.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 5:39 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• this is a normal stage for kids this age hang in there it will soon pass.
    momof5monsters

Answer by momof5monsters at 10:52 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• all children go through a a stage of separation anxiety. like someone said before if you make a big fuss about it so will he. quick hug and kiss and leave quickly. also i know children cant tell time or anything but if you say you'll be back in an hour make sure your back in an hour. good luck.
    tanper29

Answer by tanper29 at 1:10 PM on Aug. 27, 2010