Dogs keep fighting, need help! (long question)

We have three dogs.. 1 is the mother, we've had her since she was a pup. She wound up getting out of the yard about 2 years ago and got pregnant. Had 5 pups, gave 3 away, kept two because hubby & I couldnt decide which to keep, so we finally agreed to just keep the two sisters. Ever since a few months ago, the dogs have been fighting. If they stare at each other for a few minutes, they just start going at it. Me or my husband grab one of them and run to the cage, put her in, the other usually chases to the cage then runs in. Now they have started pee-ing all over the house. I walkout of one room for a few minutes and go back in &theres pee on the floor. They dont tend to fight if there are kids in the room and if they do, its far away from them. They have never biten anyone. We try to not show favoritism, and treat them all equally. What can I do to get these dogs to get along. Ready to get rid of one if they cant get along.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Pets

• you can try establishing yourself as the alfa. When the dogs misbehave the roll the dog on their back and say no firmly. It is common to have these problems when you have multiple dogs.
    debyduz

Answer by debyduz at 2:18 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Are they spayed? It is very hard to have 3 females dogs in a household, especially in tact. I say get them spayed. If that doesn't work then you may need to get rid of one or two of them. The Mom has always been Alpha, and now her daughters have reached full maturity, and are now trying to establish Alpha. Add in the hormones of the heat cycle and bam, you have a volcano ready to erupt. Think about what would happen if made 3 hormonal grown women live together. There is bound to be a fight. Only difference is humans tend to use their voice, or be passive aggressive.

Also just because they "tend not to fight with kids in the room" doesn't make it any less dangerous to your children. Most of the dogs bites I have seen have been people near or around a dog fight. The adrenaline gets pumping and teeth starting flying. They can't differentiate in during the peak of battle. They just fight.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 3:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• It sounds like a whole lot of PMS. Get them all fixed.

You can do leadership training at meal times and on walks. Establish yourself as the alpha bitch and they will cut it out. Bark Busters has a great program that is garanteed for life.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:25 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• You may have to get rid of 1 of them. It seems like they're fighting to be the Alfa female and all the urinating is marking territory. I don't know of any way to calm them down besides giving one up.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 1:14 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• i had a rot, pit, and lab/sheperd at the same time. as another person responded... they are trying to establish the alpha. however, unless you're willing to make extensive habits to avoid the fights (i had to learn what triggered the fights, and usually it was one of them being possessive over an item or food). my rot was for all other times a lubbydubby puppy, but he attacked the pit a couple of times and it got so bad and bloody that i was terrified the last time (i took my lab/sheperd out to the car and sat because i just couldn't do ANYTHING and no one was coming to help soon enough even though i had managed to split them up before). i had an issue with another two dogs fighting before too. it really comes down to choosing which one is triggering the fights that has to go. it is really an unpredictable situation otherwise. we found the pit a new home with a friend down the road, because my rot and lab were best friends.
    lindsaydm

Answer by lindsaydm at 10:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2010