Car seat battle.

How do I win? Sometimes my almost 15 month old doesnt want to get in her car seat. She stands up, she arches her back she screams grabs my hair grabs the handle above the door and holds on for dear life. BTW she is rear facing in a my ride 65. I have been giving her something to play with to distract her but that doesnt always work. Is anyone else dealing with this? What do you do?????

navyjen

Asked by navyjen at 1:13 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If my 11mo has to potty she will be very irritated to be put into the carseat so I always check that first. i have a special soft car toy. And I will also give he a small oat cracker (something she will finish quickly in a bite or two by the time I get her buckled and the car started, I don't give food in the carseat). It works 80% of the time. If she's not in the mood or tired or has had enough she'll still carry on though.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Keeping her rear facing is worth the battle. I agree that distraction (not a bribe) or some sort of special routine/song/game would be worth a try. I have read that a few kids find the recline in the MyRide to be steeper than they like, but if she settles in after awhile, that may not be the problem.

Best of luck!
    barefootbooks

Answer by barefootbooks at 2:35 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Just keep her in it and listen to screaming. Don't fight plead or bribe. She will learn that she has to ride in it regardless of how she feels. Since it is for her safety...that's what I would do. Now if it wasn't so important, I might compromise and bribe, but, carseat is non negotiable for me.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• She doesnt complain once she is in it. Its getting her in it thats the battle. Some days I wait upwards of 5 minutes before she will finally sit down in it. I would never drive without a carseat thats insane. But I am more looking for ideas thatwould distract her so she goes into the seat more willingly.
    navyjen

Comment by navyjen (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Oh...I thought she was screaming the whole time. LOL

Can you bring it in and have her sit and play in it while it isn't in the car...maybe have her cozy up to it then would be easier.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I don't understand why someone would spend the money on a MyRide, but then not use it to it's full capacity. IDK, I personally bought it so that I could RF my son to 40 lbs, not to turn him forward before age 2. NOT knocking anyone, but just a thought.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:51 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I also plan on RFing her to the max of the seat. As I said in my post I am looking for ideas to keep her from not wanting to get into the seat. Someone said FF and to me that isnt an option. But looking for ideas for distractions. I mightmake up a song and see how that goes.
    navyjen

Comment by navyjen (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I would face forward her already. I have the same carseat my daughter loves to look out the window vs the back window lol. But she is your child and you can rear face her as much as you'd like. I would put like toys and coloring books in with her to make it easier on you.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 2:30 PM on Aug. 26, 2010