Wouldnt it be easier and a lot nicer if adults could have an open conversation about thier beliefs without being made to feel like they are idiots for believing the way they do?

I generally try to steer clear from the religious debates but I'm really seeing some hateful things going on here.
I prefer to have my discussions on religions, afterlife,different beliefs with real people that don't knock you down for the way you think.
I have a large variety of friends and family in real life and I have no problem discussing with them on what we believe in. I actually ENJOY the conversations. The discussions on here SUCK! Why? Because everyone seems to want to prove thier point and wants everyone to jump on thier personal bandwagon.Face it..we live in a world of billions of people...were bound to have different views, shouldnt that be ok?
My name is Kim and I believe in God,the devil, Heaven and the stars. Ialso believe in healing of stones,energy,Karma,even reincarnation.I believe in the healing powers of the mind and from prayer.I love learning about others beliefs as well.Whats yours? :)

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 1:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I think the problem has mostly to do with communication. There are ways to state your beliefs without being condescending or running someone else's beliefs into the ground in the process. And it's something we should be more careful of when speaking about personal faith and beliefs. Saying, "My faith teaches this and this" is much less aggressive than saying, "My faith is right! Your faith is wrong!". Some people just can't seem to get that.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 5:06 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I am Shannon, I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. I believe in the baptism of water and fire ( submersion and Holy Spirit) I believe in the gifts of the spirit , I believe Jesus died and rose again, born of a virgin birth. I believe the only way to heaven is through Jesus! I believe He loves us all and wants no one to parish yet He gives free choice to choose. I believe in sharing more of His love, mercy and grace. I am not into fire and brimstone preaching. I find you will push more people away. Not everyone responds to that kind of teaching. I believe Jesus is the Son of God, God is the Father and Holy Spirit, I believe in the trinity! I believe we are saints and not sinners ( as in we no longer choose to walk in sin as we did before we accepted Jesus, I do not believe we are sinless, I believe I am a child of God , a daughter , a princess and I am Blessed and Highly Favored. I know I am loved, forever loved
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:00 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• my name is Stacy and I believe that Jesus Christ is the only way to Heaven. I believe He died, was buried and rose again on the 3rd day conquering death and hell in my place. I believe that the Bible is the inspired, “God-breathed” Word of God and that its teaching is the final authority in all matters of faith and practice. I believe that Jesus Christ was all man and all God. I believe God exists in three persons; The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit. I believe that Jesus’ death on the cross was sufficient to completely pay the sin debt owed by all men and this is what restores the broken relationship between God and man which is caused by sin....
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 3:25 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I believe that in order to be saved and be granted entrance into heaven after death, one must place one’s faith entirely in the finished work of Christ on the cross. I believe if you are not born again you will spend eternity in a real place with real fire which is called hell. I believe by calling on the name of Jesus Christ and putting your faith and trust in HIM, you don't have to go there. (VERY glad about that!)
    I believe in some other things too based on the Bible, but I think you get the gist of it. Thanks for asking ;-)
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 3:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I know, I would love to have a civilized conversation on here and openly debate, but every time, someone attacks ME instead of just refuting what I say. That's getting really old.
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 1:21 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• The old adage 'Never discuss religion or politics' comes to mind, especially with people you don't know very well.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:25 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I agree with most of what you said. I enjoy learning about other cultures and their belief systems. I think that for some people it is easier to be nasty online because they don't have to deal with the reaction.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 1:26 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I have met a lot of Christians that think that arguing their point will make people change their minds. However, they seem to miss that Christ himself, never argued. He mostly spoke softly and led quietly by his actions.
    van5

Answer by van5 at 1:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Honestly I've had the best conversations here. Unfortunately for some of you it's been with the Agnostics, Atheists and Pagans. If you agree to disagree with them it can be quite enlightening. Now as far as having bad conversations it's almost always been with fundamentalists. They will never agree to disagree. They're right and that's that. BTW I'm Catholic. I do believe in the Trinity, Transubstantiation, the evil one, and that those that have passed before us are alive in Heaven and can pray for us. While asking God ourselves.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 1:33 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• It is just how some people are, I mainly see it with the Church going or normal Christians
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2010