Is it better to be a SAHM during a child's infancy and preschool years OR during their teenage years?

Obviously most people don't have to make this choice, but if you could only afford to be a one-income family for a few years, which would be the better time to be home with the kids in your opinion?

barefootbooks

Asked by barefootbooks at 1:21 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• SAHM during infancy
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:22 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I would say Infancy and Preschool.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 1:22 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Home during the young years, then part time work while they're in school during the teen years. That's the way I'd prefer it. But that's just because I don't trust many people besides my husband, me,and a couple of family members with my daughter.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Whether or not you work has nothing to do with parenting so i am not sure it really matters.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:24 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• That is open to debate. If u have troublemakers for teenagers who don't know right from wrong then yeah sahn with them. If u have good respectable kids then u can trust them!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:25 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• This is really tough. I've been home through all of it. I would have said infancy, and for certain reasons, I think that's really important, however, having raised teens, so many parents aren't home during the teen years, that kids have more freedom than they can sometimes handle. Even good kids are curious, and given the opportunity can make friends with people that can influence them in ways we don't want, or just try things that they might not try if they had a little more supervision

I think each family has to do what they feel is best. I'm happy that I've been home with my kids, pretty much through out their childhoods, and now I'm ready to do some of the things that I put on hold. I have no regrets.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:26 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Wow, good question. I would have to say during the younger years because as they get older you can get a job while they are in school and still be home in the evenings for them.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 1:26 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I think leaving 12-15 year olds alone too much is not ideal, to say the least...what is that saying about the devil making work for idle hands?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Stay at home when they are little, and load them up with activities after school and summer time to keep them out of trouble until the work day ends.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:30 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Infancy and preschool. I think there was actually a study on the first 3 years of childhood being the most important in terms of the mother being present.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 1:30 PM on Aug. 26, 2010