Montessori schools? positives/negatives....

Anyone have any experience with montessori schools (non religious)?

sherribeare

Asked by sherribeare at 1:26 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in

• We are incorporating quite a few Montessori concepts into our homeschooling. Take a look at the book Teach me to do it Myself.
    It gives a good description of the methods behind the lessons. The specific lessons given in this particular book are designed for very young children. You may be able to find this book at your local library. If not I have provided a link for you to find it on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Me-Myself-Montessori-Activities/dp/0764127896/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1282995182&sr=1-2

Here are 2 more links to learn about general information, not only for Montessori, but also Waldorf teaching methods. Hope some of it helps you! Cheers!

http://privateschool.about.com/od/privateschoolfaqs/f/montwaldorfdiff.htm

http://www.michaelolaf.net/MONTESSORI%20and%20WALDORF.html
    emeraldearth24

Answer by emeraldearth24 at 7:42 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• montessori schools are not religious... they are earthy! they don't baby talk to little ones, they encourage creative growth... it's the route we will be taking when DD is old enough.
    kimmiegiggler

Answer by kimmiegiggler at 1:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My daughter goes to a public Motessori (not religious) and we love it!! She is able to learn at her own pace, the older kids help the younger kids learn... and it is self directed learning instead of sitting in rows being talked at all day
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 1:33 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• We had planned on montessori for our older kidd, but by the time he reached 3.5 it was very obvious he needed WAY more structure than montessor would give him. :( I wish we weren't going down this road with him, but he's a kiddo who needs lots of structure. Our little one on the other hand seems way more laid back than our first (first one was hyper in the womb :P) so we are hoping our younger one will be able to do montessor because I love the concept. Its just not ideal for a kid who needs structure to keep from bouncing off the walls.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:35 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Actually, montesorri is designed for children who need structure. I have no idea where this myth that it is a structureless environment came from.

The system teaches children physical and academic skills at the same time. It uses sensorial materials that physically engage children in learning. Children with attention span challenges do well in this environment because they are physically engaged.

The children learn about personal space and respecting others. It is a system focused on process rather than out put. It is noncompetitive. Montesorri kids are very content to work independently and in groups because they understand when to lead and when to help.

I've enchanted very few religious montesorri schools but have seen some church day care "schools" that have montessori materials. Thee are 2 certifying agencies. Make sure the school you are looking at is certified.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:38 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• i would love to send my kids to a montessori school... but we can't afford it...
    asil

Answer by asil at 7:43 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Our girls go to a private religious montessori school and it's great the only draw back is it is only through 5th grade....
    Spidermonkey531

Answer by Spidermonkey531 at 2:16 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I think they are all religious
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 1:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Most of them are not religious......... Some are associated with a religion/church though.
    sherribeare

Comment by sherribeare (original poster) at 1:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2010