What is minimum wage in your area? How much do you or your SO make an hour & what do you do?

i was reading the answers from a question last night asking how much people pay for there rent or mortgage and what state they live in. i knew it was cheaper other places, because i lived in FL for a couple of yrs and had a 1 bdrm for 750.. but i couldnt believe how cheap some places are! i saw one person said they are paying 425 a month for a 2 bdrm 1 1/2 bthrm in utah! i pay 1350 plus utilities for a 1 bdrm in new york. so im just wondering if it evens out by how much you make. minimum wage here is $7.15 an hour. i dont work right now, but my SO makes almost $12 an hr working overnight stock at a supermarket hes been at for two years.

PURPULbutterfly

Asked by PURPULbutterfly at 1:29 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• laughingThat was me that said that. And they just raised our rent this month- it was $400 before that. Anyway minimum wage here is $7.25. My husband is a youth counselor and I'd rather not say how much he makes- but it sure the heck covers our rent :)

Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 2:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Minimum wage is a federal wage generally speaking each state either has to have a wage the same or higher then federal which is $7.25 if you are working for less then that I would report to the dept of labor... anyway every state either has to have $7.25 or above based on federal law. Just thought I'd let you know
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 1:33 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My husband works at a carlot and makes $12 per hour. I was working part time at a convenience store and was making $8 per hour. But minimum wage here in Maryland is $7.25 per hour. For $1350 here you could rent a nice 3 or 4 bedroom house :) We have $700 per month on a mortgage for our house.. Its so cheap bc we put a larger down payment down. :)
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 1:33 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I think minimum wage here in Cleveland,Ohio area is around $7.00. My husband makes $16.00/hr @ his full time job & $3500.00 - $4500.00 a month at his part time job that he works from home. We pay $750.00/ month for a 4 bed 2 bath split. Housing prices are way down in OH.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Minimum wage here is the federal of $7.25. My husband makes $10/hour, 40 hours a week. It's salary so it's a flat $400/week before taxes, regardless of how long he works.
    He's assistant manager at a half-taco bell that shares a building with a gas station.
    We live in Ky. We also pay $425/month for a 2bed/1.5 bath trailer. That includes water. I couldn't imagine paying $1350 for rent! That's outrageous!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:36 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• We pay six seventy five for this apt, 775 for the mortgage on the new house (includes the taxes). Minimum wage is federally set.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:51 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Minimum wage here in Oregon is $8.40 an hour..

A 2 bedroom apartment in my neighborhood in downtown Portland, is pretty much $1500 and a month (not counting utitilities). You can't even buy a 2bdr condo in my neighorhood for less than $500,000. The cost of living in my zipcode is nearly 25% higher than the national average.

So here. No, the minimum wage does not average to with the cost of living. The cost of living is too high for someone to get by working a minimum wage job alone in my area. Just can't be done, without working more than 1 job, or receiving some form of PA. But if you are making our minimum wage, you make too much to qualify (usually..depending on family size) for PA.. To live here, you have to be making more than minimum wage, you really do.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:43 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I am retired and have a flat fixed income. I added it up per month, multiplied by 12, then divided it by 2080. 2,080 is the number of hours per year, 52 weeks at 40 hours per week. My income came in at $21.50 per hour. What I pay each month for my home is $284. That is homeowners insurance, flood insurance and property taxes. I had a really nice home when I was married and the mortgage payment was just over $1200 per month.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Min wage here in WV is 7.25. My husband is not hourly at work and neither am I. We are salary, but I think it equals roughly my husband makes $29/hour and I make $19/hour. I am a high school teacher and my husband is a Network Engineer. Our mortgage is 600/month. It is cheap b/c we had a large down payment when we bought this house.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:26 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Minimum wage here in the part of Oklahoma that we live in is $.4.45 and our rent is $540.00.
    Was this a just for fun question?
    That is what I thought.
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 5:48 PM on Aug. 26, 2010