Help Please

My dd will be 3 in September and she won't let me brush her hair. She runs and tries to hide. When I get close to her with a brush, she will lean against the couch or wall and cover her head. She is screaming and crying the whole time. It is such a struggle. How do I make this easier for both of us?

Bugbait

Asked by Bugbait at 1:37 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe a shorter hair cut??? I might try to find out WHY she is running and hiding. Is she scared? Talk with her about it. Does it hurt? Involve her in finding a way to make it feel better.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 12:55 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• she might just have very sensitive hair/head... do you or can you use that detangler spray? will that help? I would try to cut it as short/cute as possible during this stage to make it easier on everyone
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:39 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• She may be exceptionally tender-headed. My daughter was like that, but the hair still has to be brushed. You have to just be as gentle as you can be, so that it hurts the least possible. You might also look for a different kind of hairbrush as some seem to catch in the tangles worse than others. Be as quick about it as you can be without snatching the child bald and leaving her looking like her hair hasn't been brushed. It's a wonderful place to start teaching that there are some painful things in life that just cannot be avoided. Personally, if mine had run from me for anything that needed to be done, she would most likely have gotten a spanking after a warning or two. Obedience and submission to parental authority is sometimes painful. This could be one of life's teaching moments for you and your daughter.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My dd used to do that too. When we were running late for church it was a huge hassle. I started holding her between my legs. If she was still really squirmy I tried singing a song or distracting her. Sometimes my dh would sit down in front and play a game with her or whatnot until I was done brushing. Also try detangler, it works really well and makes brushing go a ton faster.
    ajbrownies

Answer by ajbrownies at 1:40 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• if it is wet use leave in conditioner when she gets out of the bath, if it is dry get that spray detangler.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 2:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• detangler spray?
    Mom2Giovanna

Answer by Mom2Giovanna at 11:27 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• i have no idea but dont cut it it did that to my mom so she had it cut so short it didnt need to be brushed i cried for weeks it still devostates me. maybe try and let her help you like you brush her hair and she can brush yours!
    saadamarie

Answer by saadamarie at 1:40 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Bribe! Bribe! Bribe! Tell her if she cry/freak out you will paint her toes/nails. Give her an extra treat....something, anything to get it done. My daughter was & sometimes is still that way. She hates it cuz' she has curly hair & it knots pretty easy. I brush dry hair & comb wet hair, that seems to help a little. I don't use spray detangler because I don't think it works but a light, leave in conditioner has seemed to help.

Good luck!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 3:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• When my 2 1/2 year old daughter wont let me brush her hair I tell her I am going to have it all cut off if she wont let me brush it....that usually makes her change her mind and lets me brush it
    mylady13135

Answer by mylady13135 at 1:18 PM on Aug. 27, 2010