How important is money to you?

How important is money to you? My DH has decided to work extra long hours, he'll be gone from 6:30 am to 11 at night most days of the week, so we can make extra money. I'm a bit miffed bc I feel like he's ditching the family.... what do you think? Would you approve of the long hours if it meant you'd be making significantly more money?

ajbrownies

Asked by ajbrownies at 1:38 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• I'D offer to be the one that works that and have him stay home with the kids for a little time with them!
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 1:40 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Considering that right now we have a hard enough time just to get the bills paid, then I'd tell him to go for it.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 1:41 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• He isn't ditching his family, he is supporting it! Though I understand where you are coming from, he probably has fears about supporting everyone.

Money isn't the most important thing in a relationship but it does help relieve some pressure!
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 1:41 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• my husband is gone from monday to friday but come weekend its never party or friend time its family time always io get to stay home witch saves us a lot of money but i couldnt work cause guys do have a easier time making money and so that was our decison! if its to help your family go for it but if he is never around i see what your saying and i know how you feel!
    saadamarie

Answer by saadamarie at 1:43 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• u no what my SO an I were both like that 1yr ago..i was watching Joel Osteen give a sermon on tv one nite..an he mentioned that how we love monie so much that we miss out on the important things in our children lives that no monie can ever replace..thats the memories..your kids would rather have u then to have the monie...so we both stopped worryin bout monie an started trying to make memories with our kids an for ours kids...even tho im not working an he is sick our kids miss having a lot of things they love us being a family more...
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 1:43 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• money is very important to me but i would never sacrifice my family over it. although we rarely do anything as a family cause of the money issues so i would say that i would tell my husband it was just a temp thing so that we could do more family stuff together or save for a family vacation that would be very memorable for us. my hubby worked a second job and i spent lots of fridays alone with the girls and i resented it to a bit. i wished he had been with me more and i wanted him to quit but we couldn't and i sacrificed cause he sacrificed for us. now if money isn't that big of an issue then he should stay home but if it is like with us sometimes you have to do what you have to do. the company got fired from the job so he is now home. yea, i'm so happy now.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:44 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I would rather get a part time job then have him work all day long. That way he would get to spend time with the kids while I work. :)
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 1:45 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My SO works long hours every now and then so we can have extra money because all our money goes to food, gas, rent, and bills. Normally with the extra money we can get the kids a few new things, or some extra snacks, or go out to eat but whatever it is it is always for the family in some way. Yes I miss him when he isn't home and I feel like he is missing out on time with his family but I know in the long run it will be worth it.
    Tab2

Answer by Tab2 at 1:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• If he has the opportunty to make some good money right now then by all means go for it! It is just temporary and it will help to knock out some bills and start a savings for a rainy day. DH worked away from hom during the week but he made GREAT money! It was nice having some extra spending money and him giving me 500 at a time to pay something off. Now he is working a regular job from 7-3 and he isnt making as much as before so we are pinched, cant go anywhere on the weekends sometimes. I personally like having the extra money.
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 1:48 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I have been hungry and homeless before and unless your family has a significant amount of savings it's closer than you may think. Maybe he is just trying to get ahead to make sure his family is safe and secure. I would be more upset if he chose to come home at 5 everynight and just sit and watch tv or play video games.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 1:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2010