I've debated asking this but what the hell..

Hypothetically if there were incontrovertable proof this was indeed a "victory mosque" could it be legally stopped or would it too be covered under the constitution?

I realize there is no such proof which is why I used the term "hypothetically". I'm curious if our constitution would protect our enemy under that circumstance. I don't know which is why I'm asking.

sopranomommy

Asked by sopranomommy at 1:47 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• During WWI socialist were passing out information to young men that were supposed to be registering for the draft urging them not to. This case went to the Supreme court and it was ruled that the information was harming our country by encouraging young men not to register for the draft during a time of war. (super paraphrasing btw) If what you're saying is directly harmful to the country you're not allowed to say it. Based off of what happened in that case If the government had proof that what was going on in a mosque was directly harming the country they would have the right to shut it down.

Now this is not necessarily part of the *constitution* but how previous judges have interpreted the constitution in the past, which can be used to justify cases now.

Did I mention I used to teach social studies? thanks for the brain exercise.
    ladykyr

Answer by ladykyr at 1:59 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Just because you disagree with another american doesn't make them our enemy.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:04 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• If they can't shut down Westboro there's no way they'd have grounds to shut that down either. For that matter, they'd have to be able to shut down Code Pink every time they protest and hold signs calling for enlisted to shoot their officers.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:51 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• The definition I have of a "victory mosque" is one built at a sight of a triumph. Anyone who believes that deliberately targeting and murdering 3000 civilians is a victory, is definitely my enemy.
    _______________________
    How can you determine who calls it a victory? Your definition is impossible to apply to a real person. Who is going to say they think it is a victory mosque? Additionally, how can you prove it is illegal to hold this point of view? You would have to prove that there is some kind of terrorist planning in order to stop something like this.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 2:43 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

al qaeda isn't building this mosque.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

Exactly.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• The KKK is alive and well today despite its bloody and disgusting history. They still spread hate and routinely stage "parades" in minority neighborhoods...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:06 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Interesting question. I'm not sure of the answer, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was allowed, unfortunately.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:34 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Interesting question and theory. I have no idea,lol. I would hope that America wouldnt stand for such a slap in the face IF thats what it truly was.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:48 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• How could you ever even prove that intent?

urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 1:52 PM on Aug. 26, 2010